Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opting out: Women can have an abortion, some men say they should have a choice over p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opting out: Women can have an abortion, some men say they should have a choice over p

Opting out: Women can have an abortion, some men say they should have a choice over parenthood too | National Post

Oh, men have a choice. It's just much earlier on in the process. If you don't want a child, don't have sex. At least not with women you don't fully trust.

Or put some of your little guys on ice and get a vasectomy.

Comment

Agreed Rioe.

“In consenting to sex,” she writes, “Neither a man nor a woman gives consent to become a parent.”
      This statement is bogus.

Sex involves risk and not just pregnancy. For instance, if I were to have sex with someone and contract AIDS, I can't say..."um no, I didn't agree to this. I don't want it." Either I protect myself against STDs or I take the risk of contracting one. I can't blame it on the guy at a later time.

The bottom line is that women act as the host organism for fetuses and there are a certain level of both benefits and risks of that biology. Men, on the other hand, have the right not to have sex with a woman or to use their own versions of protection to prevent pregnancy. If they waive those responsibilities or place them solely on the female, they incur more risk.

Comment

I thought the article was going to be about a women who wanted an abortion but the dad wanted to keep the child.

Instead it was just utter crap. Won't anybody take responsibility for their own actions....f**k

Comment

What about a situation where an accidental pregnancy does happen, the woman wants an abortion, but the man doesn't... is it fair to say that the woman gets to make all the decisions regarding this? Yes it is their body, but they also knew full well what could happen if they had sex. It is not equality, it is women having all the rights.

I personally do not believe in abortion as a solution. All abortion does is give women a free way out. I had a friend in college who had 3 boys, however between each of those boys she had an abortion and then while in college she had a fling with a much younger man and ended up pregnant and had another abortion. So in total she had three abortions, but not once did she think of having her tubes tied or protect herself from pregnancy.

The Dad's in those situations did even have a chance to say yes or no, it was never discussed with them. To me, that is wrong.

I don't think this will ever change, but I do think that if a man or woman wants to sign away their parental rights they should have that option. Women have children every day without knowing who the father is or knowing and deciding not to tell the father and then just offer the baby up for adoption.

Part of me agrees with this article, as the woman is just as much to blame for the pregnancy as the man.

Comment

What about a situation where an accidental pregnancy does happen, the woman wants an abortion, but the man doesn't... is it fair to say that the woman gets to make all the decisions regarding this?
            Sex involves risk. You would hope that any couple deciding to have sex would discuss the risks and potential outcomes. If they don't, then actions have consequences.

Yes its fair to say that women get all the decision making power once they become pregnant. Men's decision point ends at conception because they have a differing biology which doesn't involve them being hampered by having to carry and deliver a fetus. Women are the host organism for the fetus and abortion rights are a simple legal issue in my opinion. When the rights of an adult, sentient woman and a fetus..by medical definition, a parasitic organism needing the host to live...are in conflict, you have to decide who's rights supercede the other. It seems valid, in my opinion, that a sentient adult should have dominion over her own body and what's growing in it. I can't imagine forcing a woman to undergo a pregnancy that she doesn't want. Its been done before when they put woman in homes until they gave birth and the social experiment didn't work out well for anyone involved.

The Australian government just recently apologized for a long-time of forced births in their country and the legacy of that is still going on today.

I personally do not believe in abortion as a solution. All abortion does is give women a free way out. I had a friend in college who had 3 boys, however between each of those boys she had an abortion and then while in college she had a fling with a much younger man and ended up pregnant and had another abortion. So in total she had three abortions, but not once did she think of having her tubes tied or protect herself from pregnancy.

The Dad's in those situations did even have a chance to say yes or no, it was never discussed with them. To me, that is wrong.
            I know a lot of women who've had abortions. I can't say I remember any of them suggesting it was a pleasant experience. Only that they felt it was necessary at the time. Since I really don't like my tax dollars raising other people's kids...I took them at their word when they said they couldn't handle pregnancy or raising a kid.

There will always be people are sexually irresponsible. For every women who uses abortion rights irresponsibly, there is a man running around impregnating multiple women.

If you want to uphold your rights as a parent. Use birth control until you find a partner you can discuss the consequences of sex with and who you trust. Become a parent when you have a plan with your sexual partner to do so. Otherwise, if you have sex...you assume the risks therein. That goes for both men and women.

Comment

I believe abortions have a place.

1. Rape
              2. Incest
              3. When mother has been exposed to or taken a substance which would render fetus not viable.
              4. encephalitic, etc.
              5. When mother's life is at risk

I do not believe abortion should be used as a birth-control measure for casual sex.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                I believe abortions have a place.

1. Rape
                2. Incest
                3. When mother has been exposed to or taken a substance which would render fetus not viable.
                4. encephalitic, etc.
                5. When mother's life is at risk

I do not believe abortion should be used as a birth-control measure for casual sex.
                Absolutely agree 100%... too many women use abortion as a birth control method. If you are not capable of taking care of the child, refrain from sex or take appropriate measures, simple enough.

Comment

Much as it would be an agonizing choice (one that I've never been involved with), in the end, unless my opinion is asked for, it is none of my business. I do believe that if a woman becomes pregnant, the choice is her and hers alone. I have known women who have done it for birth control, some casually, and some for not so casual reasons. I don't think it was easy for either of them, and it was certainly a very painful decision for one of them.

I'd like to think in a relationship, I would have a say, but I recognize I might not have the final one.

I tend to take a somewhat libertarian stance on these kinds of things.

Comment

Everyone should be forced to have an abortion.

Comment

lol Mess.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, your opinion is only relevant in regards to your own reproductive rights. Other people have the right to decide medical decisions as they see fit for their lives.

Simply put, if you don't believe in having an abortion...don't have one. Other women get to make their own choices.

Comment

Of course no one will like what I have to say here,

Everyone should not be forced to have an abortion, but why should every man be on the hook for CS should they disagree with having a child?

It's real easy to say "your choice was putting it in her in the first place".

But you have to be realistic. This is not a man's decision to make (abortion) - and it can be thought of as unfair that men should be held responsible for someone else's decision.

It is what is, however.

I don't see any other way, other than the way we have.

Comment

Women have a choice whether or not to carry an unintended pregnancy to term - men have a choice whether or not to take the risk of getting a pregnancy started in the first place. Seems pretty simple to me. The alternative is forcing women to carry pregnancies to term, or forcing them to terminate pregnancies. That's abhorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                            Women have a choice whether or not to carry an unintended pregnancy to term - men have a choice whether or not to take the risk of getting a pregnancy started in the first place.
                            Woman have the same choice to abstain from sex with respect to unintended pregnancy. Men do not have the same choice to abort.

So we agree?

Comment

Men do not have the same choice to abort.
                              When science develops enough that men can be impregnated by a woman, have to carry a fetus for 40 weeks and give birth, then I agree they should have the same biological rights over their own bodies that women have. Until that time, there is a difference based on a very significant gender-specific, biological distinction.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X