CBC radio 9am. Est today January is divorce month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBC radio 9am. Est today January is divorce month

Just a heads up Anna Maria has panel discussion at 9am this morning on what needs to change in the family law system

Might be an interesting listen
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Thanks mcdreamy, this should be interesting for sure!

Comment

Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio
      I meant to post the url for the show ... need more coffee

Comment

McDreamy or Janibel...would you guys sum up the interesting parts once you've listened in to this interview? I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Darn - I just caught the closing remarks. Can anyone sum up?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
            Darn - I just caught the closing remarks. Can anyone sum up?
            Audio | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

Arabian and Pursuinghappiness just click on the above for a listen, really worth the time.
            Last edited by Janibel; 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM. Reason: need more coffe

Comment

Very interesting discussion.

Professor from Dalhousie raised some interesting items:
              - no statistics from Stats Can on divorce since 2004
              - no change to women being significantly economically disadvantaged from years ago
              - settlement needs should be focussed at front end of divorce process rather than at the end.
              - cultural expectations of expediency of resolution are unrealistic for those starting a divorce
              - need for unified family court system

Too bad the discussion panel was so short in length.

Thanks to mcdreamy for alerting us to this very interesting CBC segment.

Comment

- no change to women being significantly economically disadvantaged from years ago
                Is that because there's been no updated data since 2004 or is the condition still true?

- settlement needs should be focussed at front end of divorce process rather than at the end.
                Currently, the only way to speed the support process is to be able to file an ex parte motion and you'd have to have a very specific set of circumstances to do that. I agree that the whole process for litigants requiring support takes far too long and is more complicated by all the cases with lack of disclosure problems. I don't see this getting fixed any time soon.

- cultural expectations of expediency of resolution are unrealistic for those starting a divorce
                I remember when I first filed. The master during our CC said that the family law system liked to see cases start & finish in the timeframe of no later than 1yr after the first CC. I find that statement amusing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

I remember when I first filed. The master during our CC said that the family law system liked to see cases start & finish in the timeframe of no later than 1yr after the first CC. I find that statement amusing now.
                  What a joke, my lawyer also promised it would all be taken care of within a year? Then he used the excuse that the other lawyer was stalling, courts are backed-up, priority goes to custody cases - all of which is probably true - I still would have been happy to have the truth of it from the get go.

Comment

The lawyer from Medicine Hat, AB spoke briefly on arbitration and collaborative law. IT would be interesting to have heard her speak more on that process. My situation was handled by a judge/binding arbitration. We went through 5 months of useless crap (meetings, correspondence). Once it was agreed upon by both of us to do binding arbitration we set the JDR date and were finished in less than 3 months for a total of 9 months from date I filed for divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                      Very interesting discussion.

Professor from Dalhousie raised some interesting items:
                      - no statistics from Stats Can on divorce since 2004
                      - need for unified family court system
                      This is a point of contention for me. Women are not economically disadvantaged from the divorce process. Women are still economically disadvantaged in society in GENERAL and it just shows up dramatically in the divorce process.

Women should be encouraged and expected to have and maintain good careers and be self-sufficient throughout their lives, including any marriage. Just as men are.

The underlying problem, which is that women are not earning the same as men overall, regardless of marital status, is not something that can be fixed by giving them special financial treatment in the divorce process.

Not to mention that if men got the same kinds of child access that women still tend to do, women would not end up with the bulk of the child care, which can be a hindrance to pursuing a career.

I think we're still several generations away from this one being fixed. Overhauls to family court are not going to to do it, and I'm afraid that when it fails, other needed reforms will also be dismissed.

Comment

Once it was agreed upon by both of us to do binding arbitration we set the JDR date and were finished in less than 3 months for a total of 9 months from date I filed for divorce.
                        Did you have custody issues?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X