Going after new spouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going after new spouses

Any recourse for new spouses when the old spouse uses their public info in court documents? Or when they use a common law relationship as an excuse to extort money?

How are they using their name in the documents? Meaning, is it slanderous? accusations?

How would it impact the new spouses life? are they a public figure?

Comment

Its my social media. The ex is using things I post as examples of my spouses financial situation and how he is frivolous with the needs of his kids. Its part of her argument as to why she is entitled to disclosure. She is also making really degrading comments about neglect for the relationship with his kids based on what I post.

Nothing I have posted relates to his finances or what he spends on his kids. He has never claimed hardship and has always paid his share in full. I have a public social media feed because of my connections with friends and family members that I wanted to stay connected to. (We weren’t linked at the time. Now we are and I could make it all private but I don’t want her to think she has any power over that.)

Comment

Unfortunately- I think if it's information shared on a public platform- e.g. social media, then it's fair game. Generally speaking, in law, if your social media account is open to public viewing then there is no expectation of privacy.

Comment

Rockscan, if she is going after University Expenses through the courts doesn't your partner have to do a financial statement?

I understand that a new partner/spouse salary doesn't matter, but I often wonder when the ex is doing up his financial statement if he is including her contribution to their household expenses because he makes it look like he is paying all the bills himself.

Comment

His financial statement is clear. Shes using my social media posts as a way to prove he is living outside his means. She wants to know EVERYTHING about our life including my income and what I spend on our life.

Hes never claimed hardship, she thinks any money he has (including mine) should be given to her.

Comment

Hi RS, just make it private to your friends. Done. Simple. Your welcome.

Comment

Yes I will do that but I dont want her to think she had that power.

Comment

who cares what she thinks....by thinking that she does, she has it already.

Comment

To be frank just because someone attaches "evidence" to an affidavit doesn't mean it is "relevant". Too much weight is given by people in the "idea" that an affidavit is "sworn to the truth" etc...

The evidence won't even be pondered by a judge. You are not a party to the matter and as such a judge will ignore any evidence she presents about you. Unless you are making upwards of 5+ million a year and dad isn't working and paying nothing... you can /ignore and /slap the evidence.

Don't react to everything. Its really just to get you in a tiffy.

Comment

Tayken as always you know exactly what to say.

We are now shaking our heads at her. Its just sad that she has the kids believing her bs and thinking their dad doesn’t care.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X