This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal support question

Are there any stipulations in the Ontario courts that states anything resembling.... if a man & wife are married for more than 15 years then spousal support is mandatory (I'm not referring to child support - that is a different issue)

Lets say the husband earns twice what the wife earn, but I am more concerned with a timeline, is there a magic date ? As I think my wife is holding out. We have been married for 17 years (18 come June 2011) And she notifed me that our relationship was over on Jan 28th 2010. But then, If I am not mistaken, She was told by her laywer to stay with me for another year, because come the 18th year, "Regardless" of how much she earns, or even if she re-marries, I will have to pay spousal support for the rest of my life ! Is this correct

Comment

Call a lawyer NOW because you need to cement the Jan 28th 2010 date of separation.

Comment

Calling a lawyer will make no difference, he would have to prove they lived seperate lives from then on, finances, sleeping arrangements etc. If they continued to live as a couple/family then they really weren't seperated aside from emotionally.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X