Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife has her first counselling session this week...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does that mean there is hope for the marriage?

Be careful that you aren't giving her false hope if there really is no chance to fix things. In time every separated/divorced person figures out what their responsibilities towards a failed marriage is. You don't have to help her do that, in fact it's probably better to let her do it on her own..it means more and feels more honest.

If you are just trying to soften the blow, find another way to do it rather than letting her live with false hope. It will only make her angry later.

Comment

I agree completely with billiechic.

If you think that there is a chance at saving your marriage then keep doing what you are doing....

If you are honestly done with it - then you have to tell her - sooner the better. If you would like to keep going to joint counselling sessions after that to work on communication in your new relationship (as parents) then that is great. If you are waiting for her to come to the conclusion that your marriage is over in counselling sessions then most likely - it will never happen. If you don't tell her soon then you will be damaging your future relationship because she will feel more betrayed and less trusting if she finds out that you have been stringing her along. This has the potential to be very bad for co-parenting after you break up.

Comment

Like I said, I'm willing to listen and discuss. I want to hear her side, I want her to hear my side, and we'll go from there. I just don't think it's likely, which is probably not the ideal attitude to go into counseling with, but there it is.

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it.

C

Comment

I am confused. Are you or are you not planning on letting your therapist break the news? If not and you already have your mind set against resolving the problems in your marriage then why the counselling other then to have the therapist inform your wife of the impending divorce. It seems a little cold and heartless. I get that you don't want to be the one to voice "it's over" and watch the utter devastation cross her face but life isn't easy and the cop outs cause much more pain then the direct approach. On the other hand though if you are 'closed off to resolving' the issues in your marriage out of exasperation and being wore out then maybe you should be getting more therapy to understand why you have closed yourself off?
          NOT trying to be rude it's just if you are becoming cold and emotionless out of being tired of hurting and or running into closed doors then maybe you need to work on you a little more instead of expecting your wife to. It takes two to cause an issue and maybe working on you will help you become more at peace with what is going on instead of closed off.
          Again not trying to be rude;

Comment

Mama2bee, no offense taken. To try to clarify, however...

I've never said that I expect the counselor to "break the news" to her about not reconciling. I did say that I thought it might come out better in a counseling session since there would be an impartial "referee" to keep things from getting ugly/nasty/hurtful, but based on the feedback in this thread, I've decided that's not the right approach either. I've said that from the start of the second page.

As far as my own therapy, yes, I fully expect to work on me, regardless of what happens. I know it takes two people to make a marriage work, and I've got my faults. I'm definitely NOT blaming her for everything that's gone wrong. I've never said that I blame her for everything. At the same time, I'm not willing to take all the blame either.

I've never told her that I think things can be worked out or not. It's only come up once, and my response was "Right now, I don't know if we can work this out or not". I expect that sometime soon after this joint session, I'll make a decision about what I want to do, and I'll communicate that to her at home. And at that point, we can decide if we should continue the joint sessions for our marriage, or to try to work things out with regards to approaching things for the kids.

C

Comment

Well from the sounds of it you're on the right track. I hope the best for you and your family.

Comment

Thanks, Mama2bee... I'd like to do as much right as I can... I don't want to hurt anyone more than I already am.

C

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X