Best way to ensure matter is closed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to ensure matter is closed.

I am divorced. My only child (son) is turning 18. Ex refused to update child support payments for many years. I will give her more than is owed for those years as part of obtaining some form of final release. She'll agree. I have well overpaid my share of Section 7 expenses. On top of that, my son receives good chunk of pocket money monthly via bank transfer which I do not claim as part of child support or Section 7. Spousal Support has been paid in full per separation agreement. Every year I have provided full disclosure on my income. I understand that once the child support arears are agreed to and paid, there is no reason for any lawyer to ever open up the case for child support/Section 7 expenses prior to my son turning 18 or spousal support that I paid in the past.

Before I make next move in my life, it is very important that I know this part of my life is over. I understand that nothing is absolute but what is the best thing to do, to ensure nobody opens this up again? I am planning to spend several months in Europe each year. My son is 18, so he can deal with any matters concerning him from now on without my presence. Attending to Court matters on issues prior to June 2020 and reproducing documentation for past years would be a major disruption to my European plans. What is the best thing to do, to protect myself?

You could try to get a final order on consent but if your ex disagrees two years from now and decides to take you to court, you will still have to deal with it. As long as he is a child of the marriage (which he is until he finishes full time school) she has the power to take you to court.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X