Taxes on settlements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes on settlements

Does anyone know if you have to pay taxes on settlements from family law matters? If you are able to settle equalization payment, spousal support, or child support, etc without going to trial are these monies taxable?

No on everything except periodic spousal support (but not lump sum).

Also, legal fees to secure support are tax deductible (but not legal fees oppose support)

Comment

My accountant said only legal fees to secure child support are tax deductible not legal fees to secure spousal support.

Comment

https://devrylaw.ca/tax-treatment-of...y-law-matters/

"Tax Treatment of Family Law Legal Fees

In certain circumstances, legal fees incurred in the context of family law litigation are tax-deductible. Under Lines 221and 232 of your tax return, the following legal fee expenses can be deducted by a support recipient from their income:

Legal fees incurred to establish entitlement to spousal or child support;
        Legal fees incurred to increase the amount of spousal or child support payable;
        Legal fees incurred to claim retroactive spousal or child support or to enforce arrears of support;

Legal fees incurred to try and make child support non-taxable."

Comment

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ents.html#toc9

See 3.81... it just says support, which is encompassing.

I think your accountant is incorrect Stillbreathing... but I am not a tax expert.

Comment

Thank you Kinso. My accountant requested my family lawyer amend their letter to only include the legal fees for child support. They have accepted letters in the past indicating both. I will pass the link to them. Thanks again.

Comment

Absolutely legal fees to enforce and to defend spousal support are tax deductible. Even though I was successful and awarded costs for a minuscule portion, I had MANY years' worth of legal and 100% was tax deductible. Even if you are unsuccessful i believe they are 100% deductible. I recall CRA requested a letter from lawyer pretty much every year which was no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
                Also, legal fees to secure support are tax deductible (but not legal fees oppose support)
                In the case of offset child support claim do both parties get denied the tax claim as they both are support payers?

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                  In the case of offset child support claim do both parties get denied the tax claim as they both are support payers?
                  I thought that recently the CRA has started ruling that the parent making the offset payment is a support payer, and the other parent is a support recipient.

I would not be surprised though if they would decide that neither party gets the tax claim.

Comment

I think I remember reading that if you write the agreement that parent a pays x to parent band parent b pays y to parent a, they are both now recipients..I did ask lawyer recently and she said she writes it this way for that reason

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                      Absolutely legal fees to enforce and to defend spousal support are tax deductible. Even though I was successful and awarded costs for a minuscule portion, I had MANY years' worth of legal and 100% was tax deductible. Even if you are unsuccessful i believe they are 100% deductible. I recall CRA requested a letter from lawyer pretty much every year which was no big deal.
                      Wait, are you saying that legal fees spent in defending a spousal support claim (i.e. ending up as a payor of spousal support) is still tax deductible?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

They are tax deductible for a recipient not a payor. If you had to pay a lawyer to help you receive support then you get a tax deduction on certain legal fees and your lawyer will provide the breakdown in a bill for your taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          They are tax deductible for a recipient not a payor. If you had to pay a lawyer to help you receive support then you get a tax deduction on certain legal fees and your lawyer will provide the breakdown in a bill for your taxes.
                          Yea, that makes sense. Just got slightly confused by the original wording.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                            They are tax deductible for a recipient not a payor.
                            The inherent sexism in this rule is unbelievable. When I first read about it on this forum I thought the poster was kidding.

Comment

Theoretically a man seeking support also gets the deduction.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X