This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI what happens?

I was asked this question on my fb page and I am not sure of the answer. The actually question was "if someone has a dui can they still compete in a tractor/truck pull?" My answer was they cannot as it is public property. Now the complicated part. Can a person who has a dui breaking the law by cutting their own grass with a riding lawnmower? Another person also asked if a person could drive their own car drunk as long as they stayed on their own property.

Anyone have any answers to the questions?

Operation of a vehicle on Private Property isn't governed by the HTA.

Comment

lol...ur both nuts!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan View Post
        lol...ur both nuts!!
        lol we all need a bit of nuts in our life once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
          lol we all need a bit of nuts in our life once in a while.
          I actually prefer pistachio's

Comment

My understanding is that it only applies to a licensed motor vehicle. I know that for example, ebikes, which do not require a license, may be driven on public highways by those who have lost their license. This has been a bit of a controversy in some areas.

So in the case of a lawn mower, there is no issue, private property or no. Unless the vehicle you are driving is required to be licensed, or it is not permitted on the roads, then you are fine, whether is is private property or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
              My understanding is that it only applies to a licensed motor vehicle. I know that for example, ebikes, which do not require a license, may be driven on public highways by those who have lost their license. This has been a bit of a controversy in some areas.

So in the case of a lawn mower, there is no issue, private property or no. Unless the vehicle you are driving is required to be licensed, or it is not permitted on the roads, then you are fine, whether is is private property or not.

MESS...are you sure ebikes are allowed on major highways...my understanding was that they weren't..anything that can't acomplish 80mkmh really..

Comment

MESS...are you sure ebikes are allowed on major highways...my understanding was that they weren't..anything that can't acomplish 80mkmh really..
                well I was half right kinda...lol

Any municipal by-law prohibiting bicycles from highways under their jurisdiction also apply to e-bikes. Municipalities may also pass by-laws specific to e-bikes that prohibit them from municipal roads, sidewalks, bike paths, bike trails, and bike lanes under their jurisdiction.

Comment

I didn't say "major"; all public roadways are "highways."

Comment

Thanks for the article, Slughead, those were a lot of the issues I was thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                      I didn't say "major"; all public roadways are "highways."

you're correct...my apologies...I had to look it up with the MOT..

Comment

I was asked this question on my fb page and I am not sure of the answer. The actually question was "if someone has a dui can they still compete in a tractor/truck pull?" My answer was they cannot as it is public property. Now the complicated part. Can a person who has a dui breaking the law by cutting their own grass with a riding lawnmower? Another person also asked if a person could drive their own car drunk as long as they stayed on their own property.

It's not the DUI (American wording by the way) necessarily but the consequences for it. Was their license suspended? Is that suspension now over? If it was a long time ago, it probably doesn't make a difference now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                          It's not the DUI (American wording by the way) necessarily but the consequences for it. Was their license suspended? Is that suspension now over? If it was a long time ago, it probably doesn't make a difference now.
                          I think the person meant, when asking about the truck/tractor pull, that the suspension is still on. Not sure. The other parts were just hypothetical questions.

Comment

Another person also asked if a person could drive their own car drunk as long as they stayed on their own property.

I don't have answers to the other questions, but you can totally get busted here in Ontario, for driving impaired, even on private property. You don't even have to be driving...

Technically, one can get busted for sitting impaired on their private property, or maybe sitting around a campfire, at a private campground. If you have keys that the cops can show are accessible to you, being impaired, even if they aren't on your person, or in the car, you can get busted for "care and control".

I don't think many people realize that. Think of all the times one sits around a campfire, enjoying a few beers. Your car keys are probably in your pocket. Your car is probably parked on the campsite, somewhere. Cops show up, because they received a "noise complaint" or something of that nature. They see you are drinking, and start asking you how much you've had, etc... You can be charged.

It usually does not happen, but it has happened more than you think.

Comment

Ah Dad2bandm I would love to see case law on that. Cops can and do threaten all kinds of charges. But while I have heard of people passed out in the drivers seat being charged, I've never heard of someone sitting around a campfire being charged. I would be amazed if it happened, because then it could happen to people in their own homes, as long as their keys were in their pocket.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X