Child Support Table metrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Table metrics

I'm trying to understand the rational for the child support tables. For 2 children the amount is approximately 17-18% of your gross income for salaries between $50 - $100k. I understand in a general sense that its for groceries and clothing but it gets a little fuzzy when you start talking about a fraction of the housing costs and of course there is lots of ambiguity with the section 7 items. Does anyone know what metrics these table amounts were based on? Is there an article somewhere that describes these things? I ask because the amounts seem high in my case compared to how things were managed when we were a family unit. I agree with the children first approach, but again, the amounts seem a bit disproportionate.

Somebody here did a detailed analysis of it a while back. But I can't recall who, and I'm not having much luck turning it up with the search function this morning. Maybe someone else can do better.

Comment

I have searched the topic, but nothing has jumped out that answers the question. The justice site speaks to adjustments based on various income-tax rates. There has to be an underlying set of assumptions that went into making the tables. That's what I'm trying to understand.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by YGTBFJ View Post
        I have searched the topic, but nothing has jumped out that answers the question. The justice site speaks to adjustments based on various income-tax rates. There has to be an underlying set of assumptions that went into making the tables. That's what I'm trying to understand.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
        Why do you care? As I stated in another thread you are not going to change them. Just move on and settle your matter. You are simply trying to distract yourself from the matter at hand by wallowing in the math. You are just going to get pissed off and focus on nonsense when you should be focusing on settling your matter.

Less trying to find fault with a government service and more moving on. It will be cheaper for you in the long run.

Comment

The amounts in the tables are based on economic studies of average spending on children in families at different income levels in Canada. They are calculated on the basis that child support payments are no longer taxable in the hands of the receiving parent and no longer deductible by the paying parent. They are calculated using a mathematical formula and generated by a computer program.
          Explained here: Federal Child Support Guidelines

READ

Comment

My understanding was that it was "found" that one child increases the costs of a household by 40%, and every subsequent child by an additional 30%, or something along those lines.

Please don't try to argue the tables in front of a judge though. They don't even understand offset, so they sure as hell won't understand or appreciate any mathematical argument about the source of the child support tables that were put together by government experts.

That may or may not be before it was "found" that post-divorce mothers were living in high levels of poverty, so the CS tables were designed to maximize the transfer of wealth to these mothers in order to minimize the level of poverty of children. I think that increasing the transfer of wealth was actually part of the mandate of the group that made the tables.

I'll be happy with just fixing offset. Fixing the CS tables themselves is a task that is beyond imagining.

Comment

They're set that high so moms can't complain that they're too low. Because we all know how moms can be. It's to shut them up. Here is $500, stfu. They still don't shut up and start harassing you for S7 items.

Your best bet is to comply with the law and pay the guideline and don't argue. Judges hate when people complain about child support guidelines. It puts them in a situation they don't want to be in. They know they're screwing you over but they know mommies lawyer will grill them if they don't stand by the law. Child support amounts are black and white. The line is very clearly drawn.
              Your best bet: get the child with you for 40% of the time and you can get child support from her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's just a scam, it has more to do with how much money do w need so single moms are not in poverty. As soon as you think family law is supposed to be "fair" you have made your first big mistake. Just learn the rules and play the game.

This is what you want to read.
                http://www.fact.on.ca/fin_supp/whatwerethey.pdf

Tayken is right, fight battles you can win. Child support guidelines are not going to change so do as much as yuo can to be like a single mother to benefit from all the handouts they receive.

That means get 50/50 residency
                Last edited by Links17; 11-06-2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  It's just a scam, it has more to do with how much money do w need so single moms are not in poverty. As soon as you think family law is supposed to be "fair" you have made your first big mistake. Just learn the rules and play the game.

This is what you want to read.
                  http://www.fact.on.ca/fin_supp/whatwerethey.pdf

Tayken is right, fight battles you can win. Child support guidelines are not going to change so do as much as yuo can to be like a single mother to benefit from all the handouts they receive.

That means get 50/50 residency

You see custody should go to the parent with the higher standard of living. Not to the bum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everybody for the great feedback. At one point I was naively expecting fairness from this process and I see this thread has brought out the realists!

The goal of my question was not to fight the CS tables, even I can see that changing the CS tables is not a winnable battle no matter what my personal views may be on it. More why I was looking into this was for a counterpoint to section 7 requests.

The link provided by Links17 looks like it covers what I'm looking for and will hopefully answer my questions.

Additionally, in response to the question WHY, It is important (for me) to ensure that I'm not being led down the garden path, or at least not alone. Being my first encounter with these rules, it is truly unbelivable.

Thanks
                    Last edited by YGTBFJ; 11-06-2016, 02:26 PM. Reason: more

Comment

Please don't try to argue the tables in front of a judge though.
                      An important consideration: The tables are legislated, which the judges must follow regardless of personal opinion. Shared residence provides an option (the presumption is offset but it is not legislated as mandatory).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X