Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Disgruntled Disgruntled is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Disgruntled is on a distinguished road
Default Common Law Seperation

I'm looking for information as to where I stand. I live in Alberta, Canada, and m my CL husband and I have been together for almost 15 years, the first five years we had our own places, but spent our time together at one or the other’s residence. We bought a place together in 1997 and accumulated various since. I had two children when he asked me to live with him. He was like a father to my daughter from day one, but never took to my son. There were numerous altercations over the years, all to do with my son. To make a very long story short, my son is now 17 and all hell has broken lose. It’s got to the point where my CL husband wants to kick my son out of the house, as he does not agree with my decisions regarding my son. My CL husband has stated that he wants to sell our place and go our own ways. I need to know what exactly I am entitled to after we have been together all this time. We have split the bills 50/50 from the day we moved in together. Can anyone offer any advice?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Lindsay's Avatar
Lindsay Lindsay is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 378
Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Disgruntled,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Generally, in Alberta, much like in Ontario, you do not have an automatic interest in the home. Unfortunately, if the house is only in your CL partner's name, he can deny you entry at any time and sell the home without your consent. There are some exceptions, however. Alberta likely has some sort of process where you may argue that you have unjustly enriched your CL spouse by making financial and other contributions to the home and as a result you should be entitled to an interest in the home.

I believe a court would consider your CL spouse as having stood in loco parentis for your daughter and as such he would be obligated to pay child support for her. I doubt you would succeed in getting support for your son, however, since a strong relationship between him and your spouse was never established.

So, in short, talk to a lawyer immediately. Here is a site on common law separation in Alberta. You may find it helpful.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After 3 months seperation does that reset the common law relationship? PandaMuse Common Law Issues 3 10-04-2010 06:19 PM
Common Law seperation agreement confused1 Divorce & Family Law 2 08-28-2008 12:06 PM
Adultery - Common Law Seperation ELI Common Law Issues 2 08-28-2006 12:34 PM
Spousal support in common law seperation today Common Law Issues 6 05-28-2006 12:10 AM
Common Law Seperation mississauganative Common Law Issues 2 01-23-2006 09:21 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.