she wants my pension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• she wants my pension

Ok here is my situation, we split just over 3 years ago we had to fire sale the house cause she had to run off to her new job so we split the loss of 12 grand on the sale of the house . I paid off the over draft on the joint accounts and the credit cards so I am 15 grand in debt . child support is paid at $340 a week, thru fro so that is done.
    she got the van and all the house hold stuff .
    I was left with tools and personal stuff and no car.
    I have no savings just my pension .
    my job with this pension stared 3 years before we split .
    we are both broke and can't afford lawyers and the pension company wants $600 bucks to break it down and I can't afford that either.
    my questions are these...

did her portion of my pension stop when we split or is it still increasing ?
    being she got everything else and I got stuck with more debt can she still get my pension ? that will mean she got everything

I had a another pension years a go and we cashed it in during our marriage when times got tough , some one told me that because of that she has to leave this one alone.
    is this true ?

so were do I stand and what is the best thing to do ?
    I don't want to find out that if we can't afford a divorce for a while yet that she is getting more pension as time goes on cause knowing her she will wait till it's bigger and then do it and screw up all my retirment plans with is in 23 years .
    thanks in advance for your time and advice .
    Last edited by nomad; 01-28-2014, 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

She is entitled to half the value of your pension for the time you were married only and it stopped the date separation.

Did you do an NFP (Net Family Property Statment) when you separated?

If she got more and you got less you could argue that she is entitled to less of your pension... You just need to PROVE it.

Comment

no there was nothing done properly she threw me out and sat in the house for 4 months letting the bills go unpaid and made a pile of debt , another reason we lost profit on the house we had for 11 years.
      And then moved 6 hours away for her new job that lasted all of a year .
      i just want to move on and have quick divorce so i can move forward but really don't want waste anymore money on her and her crap .

Comment

Why are you talking to the pension company about splitting the pension? Is this her idea, or yours?

You are split, as far as you are concerned it is done. Is she the one pushing you to split the pension?

From your description, she owes you money from the equalization. Why did she get the van and you got the debt?

If she is now, three years later, asking for the pension to be split, you need to figure out what the van was worth three years ago, and split the debt you absorbed first. Let her know this, and suggest that it isn't worth going to court over.

Comment

Are you talking CPP pension or work pension? And what amount are you looking at having to split with her?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X