This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interim Separation agreement not filed in court

New to this site, please direct me if in wrong area, I have separated going on 5yrs now, interim separation agreement between us, living in two different cities, can I be held responsible for his debts accumulated since separating?Thanks for any advise

Welcome aboard!
    You are not legally responsible for any debt that he incurred after the break down of the relationship, unless these were directly associated to the relationship.
    IE he took on debt that was incurred in the relationship.
    If he has poor money management skills and went into debt of his own accord and it is not related to cost of access, then you are not to be held responsible.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the welcome and for the information, no for sure it is debt he has on his own and my biggest concern was that it could fall back to me as I am not legally separated.
      Thanks again, much appreciated

Comment

Void a legal separation the simple fact that you reside in two separate cities is clear indication that you are no longer together. Should you have to prove this, a simple utility bill or rental agreement would clearly show separate residences since they would carry your name and not his.

Comment

When the 90 day time span hit I sent forms to the government right away to list me as separated.
          As FL posted, you should have utilities etc in your own name to back that up.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X