SS with good income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS with good income

This is my first post. Trying to see the odds for getting SS.

2 kids (age 5&7)
    Spouse income: $150K
    My income: $100K
    Together 12 years

Any chance or cases for SS that may assist? Or know if there is background evidence of not taking a new/different job with more stress/demands to ensure I was around for assisting children more as spouse climbed the corporate ladder/traveled for work.

SSAG shows 0/0/high end range number (say $500)
    Read that sometimes they just take the mid range but in my case that would be $0. Does anyone ever get some/part of the high end range?

I searched/found some threads where it was deemed this salary range is self sufficient so may not apply but I know there are always exceptions to the rules. Trying to see if there is anything I can do to ensure in the end our take home is more 50/50 which would allow in my budget numbers for some of those extras for the kids (based on current expenses) like a vacation or some nice presents/birthday party. And yes, I know I make good money however the costs for housing/bills I have calculated are not leaving me a lot of wiggle room if I hope to stay in my area with the mortgage/bills, etc.

Originally posted by DivorceSucksCanada View Post
    Spouse income: $150K
    My income: $100K
    ...and you're hoping to stick him with SS? I'm guessing this is not an amicable separation .

SSAG shows 0/0/high end range number (say $500)
    Read that sometimes they just take the mid range but in my case that would be $0. Does anyone ever get some/part of the high end range?
    Obviously some people get something other than mid range, or there would be no reason to publish those values. You would like to have to show that your career was significantly impacted by raising the children.

Making employment choices that allowed you to assume a greater burden for child rearing in return for a lower income would certainly be a potential case for compensatory SS. The problem is, do you have any evidence? How much has your income producing ability been impacted?

How many years were you out of the workforce?

Is your ex often away for extended vacations?

What kind of custody arrangement are you anticipating for the child(ren)?

The last question shouldn't matter but it really really does.

Comment

Why not just state outright that you want the take-home to be 50/50, and let him try to argue why that is unfair?

Comment

Or you can just trade up for a guy who makes more!!

Comment

all of the above reasons plus:

12 years is not a long-term marriage. I was awarded the high end as I was married 30 years. I was 54 years old at time of separation/divorce and too old to jump back into my former career and earn same amount had I not missed 30 years.

Do you meet criteria for "Rule of 65"? Add your age and years married - if it is greater than 65 you might have something....

If you did get SS it would be for a very limited time and likely not worth what you would have to spend on lawyer to take this through family court for several years.

Comment

Who has custody of the kids? If you do, his CS is 25k per year. That makes your incomes the same.

Comment

something else to consider is that SS is 100% taxable to recipient and 100% tax deductible to payor....

Comment

And this is an example of "male abuse"....gimme, gimme, gimme.....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                  ...and you're hoping to stick him with SS? I'm guessing this is not an amicable separation .

Obviously some people get something other than mid range, or there would be no reason to publish those values. You would like to have to show that your career was significantly impacted by raising the children.

Making employment choices that allowed you to assume a greater burden for child rearing in return for a lower income would certainly be a potential case for compensatory SS. The problem is, do you have any evidence? How much has your income producing ability been impacted?

How many years were you out of the workforce?

Is your ex often away for extended vacations?

What kind of custody arrangement are you anticipating for the child(ren)?

The last question shouldn't matter but it really really does.
                  To answer your questions:
                  * I turned down a promotion for children.
                  * Only took off a year for mat leave for each child
                  * He used to travel about 25% of the time. This has stopped in the last year.
                  * Custody will be 50/50

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                    all of the above reasons plus:

12 years is not a long-term marriage. I was awarded the high end as I was married 30 years. I was 54 years old at time of separation/divorce and too old to jump back into my former career and earn same amount had I not missed 30 years.

Do you meet criteria for "Rule of 65"? Add your age and years married - if it is greater than 65 you might have something....

If you did get SS it would be for a very limited time and likely not worth what you would have to spend on lawyer to take this through family court for several years.
                    Thanks Arabian. I not at 65 rule - close though.

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
                      Who has custody of the kids? If you do, his CS is 25k per year. That makes your incomes the same.
                      No, it will be 50/50 for custody so I won't be getting 25K a year from him. I would gladly take full custody if I could have it.

Comment

Also, was hoping for some SS to offset counseling and some other medical expenses that I won't get any coverage for so it would be beneficial in that regards.
                        I just want to be informed of any/all potential options that may be available to me as I start to navigate through this process and try to minimize change to my children.

Comment

No, it will be 50/50 for custody so I won't be getting 25K a year from him. I would gladly take full custody if I could have it.
                          oh wow this is why some men believe women are parasites. All you are worried about is the $$$$.

You have a good income, even with 50/50 he will most likely be paying you offset CS. You may have to downsize like he will probably have to also.

Forget about SS and work on a parenting plan with your ex for 50/50.

Comment

Wow

Its good to know you’re more worried about your standard of living versus best interest of the children.

You are an insult to fathers and mothers who make do on 1/4 of your income and don’t complain.

Counseling for the kids is covered as s7. Counseling for you can be covered through your employee EAP.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                              oh wow this is why some men believe women are parasites. All you are worried about is the $$$$.

You have a good income, even with 50/50 he will most likely be paying you offset CS. You may have to downsize like he will probably have to also.

Forget about SS and work on a parenting plan with your ex for 50/50.
                              I wouldn't care about additional income of getting the kids full time. They are my top priority and I worry every minute about not having them with me and the pain that they will endure when they are told what is happening (and for the record, I do not want a divorce and would do anything in my power to not have it be this way).

I would like to keep the house to not disrupt their lives at this point and give them some stability when all this comes out. That was my main purpose of trying to stay in it. If I can't work the numbers then so be it and we will make a new home wherever we end up.

Sadly, I won't be able to explain to them why we are divorcing under the circumstances.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X