Access Family Court records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access Family Court records

If I am interested in accessing a previous family court case in Ontario Superior Court Family Division, does anyone know how to go about this?

All I have is one of the parties names.

Would I just go to the normal family court filing window and ask for any records related to this person?

Thanks so much!

Search Canlii. It will take you to the Canadian law library where you can search for cases.

Comment

I don't think every decision is listed in canlii. In fact I think the majority aren't listed- only decisions which are deemed worth reporting because they cover new territory.

If you know which courthouse the file would be located at, I think you'll have some luck going and asking nicely about it at the desk at that courthouse. If the case hasn't been active for a while (maybe more than a couple of years) they'll need time to retrieve the file from storage. I believe things which are filed in the courthouse are meant to be available for public access.

Comment

It's true not every case is listed in canlii.

I believe generally court records are public information so going to the court house would be the proper way to go about it.

Comment

I'm wondering if I just walk up to the regular family court filing desk or where to go exactly

Comment

If you want all the details, check out:

Court Services Division Policies and Procedures on Public Access to Court Files, Documents and Exhibits - Ministry of the Attorney General

Essentially, you can just attend at the family law counter and request the file. Some courthouses may have a publicly accessible computer where you can look up a surname and see all cases with that surname. If not, the court clerk can help you with such a search.

You would need to attend at the court house at which the case was heard (i.e. you could not see a Toronto case file at the Ottawa court house).

There may be fees for pulling up a file from storage if it is an old case. There are also copying fees, but I've seen people use camera phones.

Most cases are not reported on canlii - generally only the cases of greater interest would be reported there.
            Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Thank you so so much Jeff! That is exactly the answer I was looking for. You confirmed all things I distracted such as court location, where to go in the court house, etc. Thank you so much, such a relief in these stressful situations!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X