This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurring the lines...?

So I cannot find anything on the use of voicemails as evidence. What would your opinion be on the following; If voicemails are not admissible themselves as evidence could you let some of you wittness' listen to them and then testify to the content?

From what I have read on the site, recordings are admissible in court.

FN

Comment

My application included any number of statements from myself that "such and such " happened, or was said. My ex gave her side. It was a lot he said/she said.

The content of the voice mails can be transcribed, pick out the relevent comments, type them out like so:

01/13/09: "Sure I will do such and such"
      01/17/09: " I will never do such and such I change my mind"

Just pick out the relevent lines, not pages of conversation. Then note that full transcripts or recordings are available on request.

Your ex then can't respond that they never said those things. It is equivalent to anything else you say about your relationship. I mean, can you prove you took care of the kids for years, and weren't just watching tv while they chewed on extension cords? But the difference is, by offering the recordings, your ex can't contest the statements.

I think it is less a case that the recordings aren't admissible (I will check on that this week if I get a chance) but that the judge doesn't want to listen to them. That is just my opinion. I had previously been dealing with harrassment issues and was talking with my lawyer about getting an anti-harrassment order, but we never persued it. However I was told to keep any and all records I had. That was mostly emails though.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X