Can S7 be requested if no CS is being paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can S7 be requested if no CS is being paid

Hi all, I am wondering if one parent can take the other parent to court for S7 expenses relating to university (tuition) if no CS is being paid by either parent? Neither parent is directly supporting the child as the child is living in a rental property owned by myself and rent is being paid via income support. Child has no income of their own (other than income support) and is unable to earn an income due to addiction/mental health issues. I assist her financially from time to time by sending money and I believe the other parent buys groceries on occasion.

Every canlii post I've read has at least one parent requesting child support along with the university expenses.

First, good for your child to be going to school in spite of the health issues mentioned!

Just because the child is living in an apartment paid for by one parent, BOTH parents are still obligated to contribute to school costs. Technically both parents should be providing support to the child.

If kid isn’t working and living on their own then they will probably be eligible for grants reducing the amount owing but both parents will still have to contribute.

Comment

This is perfect. I expect that since she's not living at home and mom is not receiving child support, that she will balk at having to pay her portion of school expenses. Child has literally zero income and I can't see a court ordering her to pay anything based on her health issues. I am hoping that an education will pull her out of her addictions but right now, I'm just hoping she continues with her education!

Comment

Originally posted by velas View Post
        This is perfect. I expect that since she's not living at home and mom is not receiving child support, that she will balk at having to pay her portion of school expenses. Child has literally zero income and I can't see a court ordering her to pay anything based on her health issues. I am hoping that an education will pull her out of her addictions but right now, I'm just hoping she continues with her education!

She can balk all she wants but she still has to contribute. Bigger question is, who will be there to support your daughter emotionally so she makes it through a program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, interesting development.
          Child has received a grant for $2000. Tuition for the semester is about $1900 so this is perfect. However, child also applied for and received a student loan. (her education has 100% been funded by myself and her mother so far).

Both the grant and the student loan has been spent by the child....

I'm definitely not paying the tuition for January and neither is her mother. Curious as to whether that will impact the student loan/grant that she already received....

And, we may have to remove her from the property that we bought for her to live in as the police have been frequenting it regularly. And, the worst part, with the isolation requirements out east, I can't even go there to help her.

Comment

As long as you and your ex are on the same page then things should be ok. This is a big lesson for your kid. If she drops out of school or fails, her grant may be turned into loan. She will then be responsible for it as you both have contributed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X