Child tax benefit/Section 7 expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child tax benefit/Section 7 expenses

I had my surgery and an now proceeding on my motion for section 7 expenses for child care in relation to my recovery. The expenses are for daycare ($125/mnth due to subsidy), babysitter for night care during hospital stay ($15/hr, 5pm-8am overnight infant child, 2 nights, $450), babysitter throughout the week are hospital stay ($13/hr, 3 hrs per day, ongoing at the moment).

My ex's lawyer is stating that the taxable child benefits should be deducted from these expenses, such as Canada Child Tax Benefit.

Thoughts?

The taxable benefit for child care should be deducted but not baby bonus.

Comment

Universal child care benefit, right? They've removed that from my province. Now all we have is Canada Child Tax Benefit

Comment

You get a tax deduction for daycare. Thats NOT any baby bonus or child tax benefit. I dont know how that works but parents should still get the "baby bonus" yes? (Correct me if Im wrong people)

All section 7 expenses are calculated from the "net cost" which is the amount after subsidies, tax benefits etc. which means you need to do a dummy tax return (if you did your taxes online last year you can just use that file) with daycare expenses and then without them. The difference between the two is the tax benefit which is then subtracted from the total daycare expenses which then are split proportionate to income.

There is no rule about subtracting the child tax benefit from section 7 expenses.

Comment

I see what you mean!

I will do a dummy income tax calculator to figure out.

It's frustrating, because CRA will accept my daycare receipts, but not my evening babysitter receipts. CRA website says child care only for employment or education. You can't claim for disability. The evening babysitter (and daycare) are due to the surgery.

I'll do the dummy tax related to the child care for daycare. But I'll exclude the evening babysitter as I can't claim it according to the CRA.

Comment

Maybe a dumb question....but was your ex available and ready to take care of his children during those times you were off? Did you ask him?

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie76 View Post
              Maybe a dumb question....but was your ex available and ready to take care of his children during those times you were off? Did you ask him?
              That's covered in other threads.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...99/#post220216

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...61/#post222014

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...96/#post222232

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, he was available and I asked him. I had about 3 months warning for my surgery. He hasn't seen our daughter in about eight months.

So, I asked him 3 months ago. He said yes he would help. Then he just stopped communicating. I sent him a final email 3 weeks prior to surgery. No reply.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X