Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:56 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
Something is wrong.... custody is shared 50/50?

Have you done this using a proper tool that takes into account all tax benefits, deductions etc...

Also consider S7 expenses.

SSAG is 100% negotiable as long as you can convince the judge of certain critical points you can possibly get a reasonable deal.

If you just settle at whatever the BS "system" tells you then you will get screwed.

Go to court
-Prove her lower income isn't due to the marriage that even if she had continued her career uninterrupted she'd only make XYZ and pay her so she attains that goal (disentitle her from comp support)

-Prove you also suffered income loss due to the family

-Prove that her lifestype won't vary much after divorce and with the amount of support you are proposing it will be similar (disentitle her from non-comp support)

I think litigation is important, I argued successfully to have my alimony an end date set and then AGAIN to have it terminated. My trash ex-wife is dumb as a rock so it helped but if you can prove the things I mentionned you can minimize her entitlement.
I agree with Links in that it would be useful to be able to determine exactly what her income would have been had her career not been interrupted. I'd play around with spread sheets.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 PM

hdc1894 is on a distinguished road
Default How to prove those things Links?

Thanks for all tips. I am curious about your comments Links. I think I know what I would need to pull together but what would it really look like to prove that she didn't suffer economically as a result of the marriage? Should I chart her income from start to finish to show that yearly/hourly wage is the same?
How could I prove her lifestyle won't change? We will both need new residences and to sell matrimonial home.

This looks like a good approach but I will take all the help I can get with how to go about it.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdc1894 View Post
Thanks for all tips. I am curious about your comments Links. I think I know what I would need to pull together but what would it really look like to prove that she didn't suffer economically as a result of the marriage? Should I chart her income from start to finish to show that yearly/hourly wage is the same?
How could I prove her lifestyle won't change? We will both need new residences and to sell matrimonial home.

This looks like a good approach but I will take all the help I can get with how to go about it.
I don't want to give you the wrong idea. You aren't going to prove she DIDN'T suffer. What you might be able to prove is that it isn't black/white case of a SAHM.

You are going to argue, yes she stayed at home for 2 years and she should be compensatied for that.

You are going to argue she worked part-time on her career so its like a "semi-sacrifice" you are going to argue the time she was in school FT was no sacrifice.

You are also going to bring to light that you sacrifice some amount to and that should be "deducted".

The goal is to break the marriage up into chunks and build your case there.

Will it work..... I can tell you in my cases the judges were open to analyzing the situation in detail and not just apply some math calculations.

You need to search canlii and find similar cases or research on the net, there are some spousal support case summaries to use as reference.

For lifestyle,
-how many vacations - what was the budget
-eating out, yes, no
-house is smaller but that applies to both of you.

I would argue in court for an end date since the basis is mostly compensatory.

You need to emphasize that she should get less overall Net Income than you as an incentive for you to work.

I am not a lawyer, I have a way I handle my legal stuff that worked for me but it isn't conventional.

You go to court to convince the judge of your point. To do that you need to understand things how the legal system views marriage and divorce as tools that impoverish women you need to read at least SSAG, moge vs move, leksun, miglin, bracklow vs bracklow

Also, I have to say in Ontarion teh incentive to self-rep is more than Quebec because there the guy doesnt pay the wife's legal fees. In Quebec unless the wife is nuts you pay her legal fees. If you self-rep through this she will lose 20k of the alimony in legal fees anyways

Last edited by Links17; 03-27-2016 at 09:13 PM.