Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:50 PM

North of 40 is on a distinguished road

When you initially put up your situation on another thread, I was pretty impressed your ex/wife wasn't going to go for ss. Citing her education etc.

From what I've seen, the claws seem to almost always come out when money is involved.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:17 PM

hdc1894 is on a distinguished road

For sure this is shocking for her and she is scared, angry, sad and the whole bunch so she is striking back. I think she will need support in the beginning but she has all the making of being self sufficient due to work history and education. I am just trying to figure out what to expect as an amount and figure out how long to expect to pay. Entitlement seems medium at best to me and maybe low except in the short term. Hoping for mediation so I hope to be prepared for the discussion and don't agree to something that isn't fair to me.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

There is one aspect I am having my doubts on is that will the fact she worked part-time even be relevant or will it be considered the same as if she was a SAHM full-time.

I can't find much case law on the matter...

What did she do part-time, something career related?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdc1894 View Post
For sure this is shocking for her and she is scared, angry, sad and the whole bunch so she is striking back. I think she will need support in the beginning but she has all the making of being self sufficient due to work history and education. I am just trying to figure out what to expect as an amount and figure out how long to expect to pay. Entitlement seems medium at best to me and maybe low except in the short term. Hoping for mediation so I hope to be prepared for the discussion and don't agree to something that isn't fair to me.
I am going to tell you now, have no mercy.

The system will err in her favour at the end of the day you will be the one that is shocked. She is going to be getting your money for many years and have the luxury of working or not, marrying or not, travelling or not.

You will have employment expenses, child support, S7 etc.... she will just have money appearing in her bank account.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:10 AM

North of 40 is on a distinguished road

Links is correct.

Once she talks to friends, lawyers up etc. It'll be on. AND even though she could be self sufficient...don't plan on it. You said she has a Masters, meaning she can do research. Trust me...she'll be doing it.

I suspect you'll be in the range of....wait for it...half the length of marriage, near the max for ss. Judge will cite that you get half back on taxes.

Do the words GONG SHOW mean anything?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

As you're finding out (as I did) there are no hard and fast rules regarding SS so it is a crap shoot. You'll argue for something near the low-mid range of the SSAG. She'll argue for the high end. Once she has her own lawyer they'll be pushing for the maximum under SSAG in terms of amount and duration.

The other thing to look at is whether the SS is compensatory (she sacrificed her career for the family) or non-compensatory (she has a need). If non-compensatory, you may have a better argument to reduce or end SS if she gets a better job, repartners, wins the lottery, etc. and no longer has a need.

I'd recommend looking into mediation ASAP.