Taxing lawyer account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxing lawyer account

While I'm at it, has anyone taxed their lawyers account and got money back? I got rid of that hack and told her what my opinion of her service to me was and she cancelled her last two bills to me, but I still feel like she did a crappy job.

Taxed their lawyers account? What does that even mean?

Comment

I am wondering if she meant had the bills assessed?

Comment

that is exactly what it is - you have a limited amount of time to do this. Here it was handled at our provincial court house (same place they do the murder trials (I only know that as there was one on when I was there.....

There are documents you need to prepare - the particular person at the courthouse took me on as a darn confused about to have a breakdown basket case, which I was. Here the assessor only is in town a few times a year and you will both get a chance to have your say.

there is a key in the lawyer giving you back your last two "deposits". there is an assumption that if you pay, time elapses, you can't then go back and say you were not satisfied with the work or you would have fired them much earlier. In my case everything came to a head all at once - my file is so bad it is still talked about at the courthouses..... I was living in a state of mental breakdown and doing everything my brain could process to gather 30 years of documentation - near impossible as due to my medical issues which began with the accident prior to our marriage - my ex was a 100% trusted individual who NEVER GAVE ME CAUSE TO SUSPECT..... then I got real sick - my ex couldn't handle it and instead of just saying so - she spent the next three years spending every penny (We found a bunch still in existence) but my case was based on my first lawyer not even doing basic legal requirements mandated by the courts.

I have the file known as the one "Of the husband screwed so deep he will never see daylight!" Sad but the first I went to the counter - I didn't need to give my name or even my file number - they knew both for the above reasons! You do need to have more than I am upset, or I lost, or anything else that just shows you made some bad judgement calls.

To be successful you will need to speak to each invoice, the work that was done, should have been done???? That doesn't matter - I learned that the hard way, my entire file was the work he didn't do, the invoicing was done in such a way that it was impossible to identify the work that was done for that particular invoice (I must have had 75 different log entries to which I should have had to address each as an individual complaint. My biggest issue to which I lost so much of my fight was "They can't assess work that was not done - only for work that you csan identify that did not meet the standards as expected by the courts.... in other words if your lawyer took the easy way, half a job way - and you can show it you have a chance.

In the end the assessor made my lawyer agree to changing how things were normally done and I was allowed to answer her questions and give her a 30 second speech of "why was I so upset"....... I got about 45% back - maybe a little less - I was told by the court duty council who broke their own rules by speaking out against a colleague still under retainer but as they all said - they had never before seen such a poorly represented file and I deserved it all back. I was happy with what I did get - and it is my past. Today I have two lawyers who care about the abuses that have gone on - their goal is to end the BS beat on the sick guy - and have the law do what it should - fair financial recourse to what was stolen and then a fair division of our remaining assets -- as it should be.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X