Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of
Default Ottawa & Newmarket - Mandatory Information Program

Please note that parties in all family law cases under the Divorce Act, the Family Law Act (Parts I, II and III) and the Children’s Law Reform Act (Part III) started in the Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa after December 6, 2010, or in Newmarket after January 3, 2011 are required to attend a Mandatory Information Program (MIP). The exception are cases wherein the only issues are a simple divorce, costs, or the incorporation of the terms of an agreement or prior court order.

You can find out more information about this at:
Mandatory Information Program in the Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa and Newmarket

For Ottawa, the first French session is at the courthouse on January 5, and the first English session is at the courthouse on January 6, 2011.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

They did the same thing in Toronto a couple of years back, except it is called the Family Law Information Centre.

Like (too) many aspects of family law there are no consequences for non-compliance. My ex didn't bother to go and I don't think it mattered.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM

SillyMe is on a distinguished road

This is different. No moving forward without first taking the session. What I find interesting is; I can't find any information on what this course exactly entails. You can't take it until you file, you can't take it if you don't file and, you can't get into the program unless you file. There is no other information available. What about those that have been down the divorce road before, no mention of that...so many question I would like addressed but, it seems I would have to get divorced again which would mean getting married again...steep price to pay for a little more information. I have to ask myself, why all the secrecy? Why not have the course outline available to anybody thinking about starting a divorce...its bad enough the judges training is held in secret. Now they are keeping future litigants training secret too...how come they can get away with something like this? If they are forcing the public to take this course, why wasn't there public consultation on this first? The consequences of not taking the course are dire.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

You ask for input from those that have been down the divorce road before. I've been down that road.

In Toronto, it's not a course. It's a three hour information session.

They said that the file can't go forward with us either until both parties attend. She didn't attend. It went forward.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

It would be absurd if you file an application because your ex refuses to pay child support; then your suit can't go forward because they won't attend the session/course. You are stuck with no support and the case is stalled indefinately with no consequences to the other party. So of course the case has to go forward. In my case, as the applicant, I believe if I didn't attend the case would not have moved; I had to get a signed/stamped copy of my attendance form to submit with my court application.

From the description on the webpage Jeff linked to, this is identical to the information session in Toronto. You get a lecture from the clerk about family law basics and what alternatives are, namely mediation, arbitration and med-arb. Then you watch a little film about a couple at a case conference narrated by Peter Mansbridge, and then you get a q&a with a divorce lawyer. On the one hand, I found the session informative and would have preferred to attend such a session BEFORE I spoke to a divorce lawyer for the first time; understanding the process, costs and alternatives would have put me a bit more in control at my first meeting with my first lawyer. However by the time I had filed my application, the content of the session was all old news and it didn't help me, and it didn't coax my ex into coming to the negotiating table.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
From the description on the webpage Jeff linked to, this is identical to the information session in Toronto. You get a lecture from the clerk about family law basics and what alternatives are, namely mediation, arbitration and med-arb. Then you watch a little film about a couple at a case conference narrated by Peter Mansbridge, and then you get a q&a with a divorce lawyer.
Yep, that's exactly the one I went to.
Closed Thread