Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM

dovan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihave2kidsIcannotsee View Post
From experience act quick on this access issue because the longer she has the kids and the less you get to see them their is the possibility that she will turn them against you and they will soon not want to see you. You must get the child support done first as this is what the court will want done first, then quickly get your access rights changed you need to act quickly I didn't and now I cannot see my children as she has turned them against me! I wish you all the best, it is not fun!

Paul
Yes this is so true and unfortunate...if during the time between and your court dare which I am a bit confused about how a case conference could be done with out a motion or application being served is mind boggling. Nevertheless if she continues to keep to the schedule and you ask for more access time with the child and it is refused right it down as stated before be as detailed as possible time date and conversation... even record the conversation if you need to. In court the judge will want to know why there is a refusal of more access just because she wants to refuse is not a reason and not in the best interest of the child. Shared custody will not be granted to parents that cannot coparent in the best interest of the children.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM

Distraught Father is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your advice and support.

Sorry for any confusion - My Ex served me in Oct and our case conference is now set for March.

I have done everything that any good father can do in this matter. I've beggged and pleaded for the ex to give me more time with the kids (3), I've treated the kids like gold when they are with me - completing all homework when needed, giving them the love and attention the need and want, ensuring they know that what has happened to the relationship with their mother and me had nothing to do with them and we love them just the same, always bringing them for walks and toboganning and all the things that children need and want to do.

Here is the current situation - My ex has now returned to work after Mat Leave and works inconsistent hours and some evenings. She has scheduled time for the children to visit me when she works evenings however tells me to bring the chidren back to a sitter in her home instead of allowing them to stay with me overnight. Obviously this simply infuriates me - but to avoid additional conflict, I'm complying. My 2 older children also very frustrated with this and are telling their mother and me that they do not want to leave me. They see through their mothers vindicitiveness and controlling behaviour and now clearly want to be with me and not their mother.

This is so hard to do and I'm not sure how to handle this. My lawyer has advised me to just stay strong and take as much time with the kids as possible.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM

dovan is on a distinguished road

Your lawyer is right remaining calm and focus on your children and don't let her rope into adding to the conflict by reacting to her in any inappropriate manner. This link was post on another posting on this site Lisa Scott's Real Family Law the article is The DO's and Dont's of Cooperative Parenting. Hope that can help you ease you mind a bit
Closed Thread