Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM
backinthesaddle backinthesaddle is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
backinthesaddle is on a distinguished road
Default Home business and divorce.

Enquiring for a friend. I have no experience and don’t see much on here for those that owned a business with their ex.

A friend and her husband owned a business. Electrical etc. He was the electrician and she did the books and appointments etc. They own a home and the business together. Married 20 years. She left him and he fired her. The situation was volatile and she had to stay with friends and they share their teen daughter every other week arrangement. She has found a minimum wage job and gets absolutely no spousal or child support. Struggling. She has a lawyer but I just found her lawyer is collaborative and doesn’t litigate. Her ex is trying to control what she will get. This has been going on two years. I told her to get a new lawyer. They had an accountant go over their business and she is asking for less than entitled to but ex is still saying no. What should her next step be? Is there something she can be doing without her lawyer that seems to be useless?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 AM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,752
rockscan will become famous soon enough

She needs to file a motion for support. Look through the forms. Im not sure what the motion is for equalization is but that should be done.

And she should get another lawyer!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Janus's Avatar
Janus Janus is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,209
Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

1) Get a new lawyer
2) Ask for financial disclosure (and she should provide hers as well)
3) Ask for a valuation of the business
4) Explicitly ask for interim support (a set amount)

...and, when ex provides no disclosure and refuses to pay support

5) Go to court!

The good news is that it probably won't go to trial, but it is important to push for a trial to motivate the other side to settle. Stalling helps her ex and hurts her, so he will stall as long as he can.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM
tilt tilt is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 228
tilt is on a distinguished road

She doesn’t file a motion. She will file an application (motions comes after the application). There is free help at the family law offices at many courthouses (in Ontario). A lawyer that has let her hang with no CS for two years is not a lawyer she wants to keep. Interim CS will be Ordered on the first or second appearance in most cases. The rest of the stuff will take longer, but at least she will start having some money coming in.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stbx using 20 yr old business loss/bankrupcy against me? Just want my 50% onedayatatime Financial Issues 3 10-15-2011 05:56 PM
Spousal Support Change -Help needed with served document LisaM Divorce & Family Law 43 01-17-2011 11:48 PM
Jointly owned business m_and_c Divorce & Family Law 1 05-12-2010 11:38 PM
Curious divorce question Kimberley Divorce & Family Law 12 05-28-2009 06:24 PM
Hiding money in a business daver32 Divorce & Family Law 2 09-15-2008 02:48 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.