Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:15 PM

momwithteendaughter is on a distinguished road
Default 50/50 access and Child Support

I had put a motion for child support (full disclosure of financials, extra ordinary expenses and requesting for retroactive pay). We have court date coming up next week. He was served over a month ago therefore the 30 day deadline has passed. He has not responded. He says he has a lawyer.. I know he has manipulated the situation in making access 50/50 (our daughter is 16 there not much that can be enforced on my end). I understand a judge won't order a 16 years access etc. A decision of 50/50 is heavily weighed on where a teen wants to live. My question is:
1) With regards to child support, if he makes significantly more than I do will he still be responsible for child support? Or will he and his lawyer try and go for 50/50 and no support?
2) who decides on access schedule when moving to 50/50?

Looking for advise PLEASES
Old 01-24-2016, 02:35 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

So I am guessing you filed your motion at the court house. Did you go check that they have not filed a response and just posted you their response? Important to check continuing record at the court house first.

do you have an existing agreement.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:43 PM

Hello. Yes. I filed the motion and had him Served. As of 2 days ago (Friday) I checked with th court house and he has not filed a response yet. Also I haven't received a letter from his lawyer stating he has been retained. Yes we do have an order in places based for access where she visits him every other weekend and full child support ) order has been in place since 2010
Old 01-24-2016, 03:15 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by momwithteendaughter View Post
I had put a motion for child support (full disclosure of financials, extra ordinary expenses and requesting for retroactive pay). We have court date coming up next week. He was served over a month ago therefore the 30 day deadline has passed. He has not responded. He says he has a lawyer.. I know he has manipulated the situation in making access 50/50 (our daughter is 16 there not much that can be enforced on my end). I understand a judge won't order a 16 years access etc. A decision of 50/50 is heavily weighed on where a teen wants to live. My question is:

1) With regards to child support, if he makes significantly more than I do will he still be responsible for child support? Or will he and his lawyer try and go for 50/50 and no support?

2) who decides on access schedule when moving to 50/50?

Looking for advise PLEASES

If its 50:50 then he pays offset support. S7 expenses still remain at the income split.

He and his lawyer cant go for no support.

I think you both can work on the schedule for kid together or get input from kid.

Look up the supreme court case against D.B.S. And child support. If your ex provides financials which show he hasnt reported his income increases then he may be on the hook for retro support.

Things to remember in a final order: post secondary expenses, when cs ends for kid, what happens if kid decides to go full time with one parent over another, and the provision of updated financials annually.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Yes I know I have to keep in mind if she decides to go full time. As for now I believe she wants the 50:50 split. As for post secondary. Is there anything j should know or be prepared for which I can prepare for now?
Old 01-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Im not sure how these things go. Youve filed a motion for support but you have to think long term. You want to have it in writing what happens when kid finishes school in another year or two. If it gets discussed for a final order, make sure its 1/3 to kid and then split according to s7.

And remember it doesnt matter what the custody is, s7 is split based on incomes not offset.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:41 PM

In our current agreement Special extraordinary expenses is mentioned. According to S7 post secondary school falls under this category. Closer to the time it will need to be reviewed/discussed.

I am baffled by the fact that a response hasn't been made to the motion considering he says he had a lawyer. I'm not sure what to expect. Has anyone experienced situation where respondent and lawyer file last minute? I guess at that point I would be given option to accept late response? Anyone know the answer to this???
Old 01-24-2016, 05:43 PM

Im confused. You have an agreement outlining custody and child support? Your motion is to change the agreement to 50/50? He hasnt been paying the support in the previous order?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:48 PM

We have an orde outing custody/access and child support
My motion is to enforce disclosure of financial info (noa etc) as I'm sure his income has increased over the last 5 years . I haven't recvd since 2010 (inception of originally order). In the motion I'm also asking for retroactive pay and extraordinary expenses which he hasn't reimbursed me for. The access change was raised after he was served. I know he's trying to avoid paying any support. He was paying support month up until recently (January).
All advice welcome.. Thank you
Old 01-24-2016, 05:52 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momwithteendaughter View Post
Yes I know I have to keep in mind if she decides to go full time. As for now I believe she wants the 50:50 split. As for post secondary. Is there anything j should know or be prepared for which I can prepare for now?
Post-secondary is situation dependent, given the financial status, education status, etc. of both parents and even the academic standing and educational plans of the student. If your ex is making significantly more than you, you do need to push for full financial disclosure and make no decisions until you have received same. The current agreements I’ve been seeing lately require a “reasonable” contribution by the child, and have a drop-dead of the child either obtaining first degree/diploma, or attaining the age of 23, whichever comes first, for payment of cs during post-secondary.

Do you not have a written separation agreement now, that deals with these future steps? I’m not sure the older agreements set an age- I know my 1997 agreement doesn’t.

If you can reach a settlement agreement (and subject to your existing written agreement, if any), ensure there is a material change clause in one or the other, and consider adding if the child resides with one parent longer than 30 or 45 consecutive days as a definition of a material change. That might save a future hassle for each of you in confirming.

Tags
access, child support