Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 AM

movingon07 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Looking for some help.

Hello my name is Kim I have been in a relationship with my partner for about a little over a year. Things are not going very well he is very abusive verbally and can not control his temper and I would like to end the relationship before things get worse. I have been reading other postings and know that we can not be considered common law because it has only been a little over a year. The reason that I'm looking for help is that he is threatening me that I must pay half of his debt that he had racked up while we were together about 15,000. I did not co-sign any papers and he had done this on his own. We do have a joint account, a car lease which is in both our names and he is a co-signer, car insurance in both names and we had filed taxes together earlier this year. He won't take my name off the joint account and will not put the car up for sale.
My questions are:
1)Do I owe him any money?
2)What do I do with things that are in both our names?
3)What can be done with the car?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:18 PM

Leathal is on a distinguished road

Get out while you still can and don't be afraid to leave him but be prepared to hide as I am sure he will come looking for you. So I would start thinking of moving far away and not tell anyone where you are going as it's very common for abusers to track their abused down and abuse them more maybe even kill them. (sad)

You know that the bank has to honor your request to have your name removed from the joint account right? I think it's illegal for them not to, but you should be able to do that no matter where you move to as long as you don't move out of the country.

I would get out there first and not worry about the dealership and other debts you may have later, getting out of debt is easy, avoiding the ex will be hard unless like I said you move far away and not tell anyone.

Leathal
Closed Thread