Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 PM

raven70 is on a distinguished road

hi wondergirl, regarding SS (which i pay) my ex had an income imputed on her by the court when she was not working and was capable of. it depends on his level of income really...that is good that you have family support.
regarding the house(and remember i am in B.C) you will need to prove your contributions since the law treats CL couples differently than married ones. the same applies when your both on title.

Also i have been to court numerous times for the SS issue, and although i am rarely a believer of it, it sounds to me you would be entitled, athough his approximate income would be a help

the raven
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I think you should talk to a lawyer and read up on recent settlements in your province regarding common law marriage. You mentioned your spouse "drives" for a living. I would assume that he has a class 1 (commercial license) and has employment in trucking or construction? That might help you in receiving a time-limited amount of support. Is the farm a family farm ie. passed down to him from a relative? These are important factors that can come into play when negotiating a settlement.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 PM

I didn't specify Alanon as I believe there are other support groups available for co-dependency.

Good for you for being brave enough to make the move to a better life. I am heartened to hear you have at least sought out some sort of assistance. It must be very overwhelming for you. I haven't been in that situation but I know many that have and they have survived. Important thing is to GET OUT.

Get to a lawyer. As there is no doubt a good portion of equity in the home and your spouse is employed you will have little problem getting a lawyer to represent you. Don't get a female one and get one young - that's my own personal advice. You need someone who is up-to-date on current divorce/separation law. Old farts will be of no use to you.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM

wondergirl is on a distinguished road

arabian, the house was not passed down, as I had stated..it was purchased 10 yrs into our relationship. I have retained a lawyer, and the reasons I ask these two questions were solely based on the situation. He does not drive a rig..he drives a cube van type vehicle. call it a courier for argument sake

re: raven's reply...
The reason I had not worked this past 20 yrs was a mutual agreement as he wanted me available for travel while we still lived in the city and he owned his own business..his theory was if i worked full time it would hinder his wanting to travel.
After the farm was purchased it was a necessity that I stay at home to take care of the daily chores/etc. while he went out and worked.

When I look at the big picture..It was to some extent financial manipulation but it was always our goal to own a farm and I did so willingly as we both love animals and farm life so much.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 PM

i guess i am kinda out of luck on the "don't get a female lawyer" part of your statement arabian, as the lawyer i did get is indeed female. LOL, and to make matters worse..his lawyer is a savvy city lawyer where mine is a more local but young female..that could be good or bad depending on the circumstances i suppose.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Is it ok as far as forum etiquette is concerned to update this thread as time passes during the legal process with other questions that may arise? Don't want to go against any forum rules.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM

It will be interesting for you to recieve feedback from ONT residents on the home issue, in B.C you would have to prove contributions beyond what rent would be.

regarding SS, i think you would be successful in an ONT court, although he will be looking at retirement and thus a lower guideline, raven
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Default yes

ofcourse you can
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven70 View Post
ofcourse you can
thank you Good to know
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 PM

yes you can however you might get a wider range of responses if you put your questions on the recommended area - finance, divorce/common law support, child custody etc.

There aren't many of us who participate who are from western Canada and you might want to post other questions with heading "BC ...." I know there are many who read the forum and who only send private messages which is a pity as this whole forum is a learning process for all of us.
Closed Thread