Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
worried worried is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
worried is on a distinguished road
Default House in his name but I paid deposits

My boyfriend and I have lived together for a year and we purchased a house in his name only, mortgage and deed. From the sale of my home, I paid 10,400 to pay off his car so he could get the mortgage and over 1800 in closing costs on the home and 2000 of deposits on signing. He is now making my life a living hell living here and he has told me that he wants me and my children to move out. What are my rights in getting back my deposits? I have also paid half of the mortgage, half of the utilities, all the cable and internet as he has stopped paying these, and half of the house insurance from the day we moved in. I want to purchase my own home but I need my money back, what are my options?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
yearsgone yearsgone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 86
yearsgone is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong but I "think" in common-law relationships, you get back anything that has your name on it ( like his house) and the other partner is out of luck. Your only chance is if you get a sympathetic judge and you have receipts.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
FL_Needs_To_Change's Avatar
FL_Needs_To_Change FL_Needs_To_Change is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 1,261
FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

I think that you would have to provide documentation as to the payments, and you should have received copies of the paper work at each stage of the purchase process.

Then you would get back both the $2000 deposit and $1800 in closing costs.
With respect to the amount to pay off his car, I hope that you have a bank statement or cancelled cheque to show where the money came from so that you can get that as well?
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House equalization after mortgage paid by ex torontonian Financial Issues 8 08-16-2011 10:53 AM
Common law house division problems whatnext Introductions 5 04-14-2011 08:40 PM
what do I do with my house?? jupiter_saturn Financial Issues 5 03-16-2010 01:46 PM
Looks like I'll lose the house now, too! sasha1 Divorce & Family Law 12 06-28-2009 12:14 AM
Need Objective Advice k66 Common Law Issues 8 05-16-2007 05:30 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.