Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:02 PM

A.N.Onym is on a distinguished road
Default Children counselling

Hi

My ex requested counselling for children, and court has supported this. I am reading client agreement, and getting a filling I am hiring court expert and not therapist. It clearly says content of discussion with children isn't confidential, I am giving therapist right to discuss it with practically anyone, testify in court, etc. etc.

We do have OCL, and children are teens, and even OCL has very little weight, so I doubt that testimony from private therapist would add any value in court.

What I am concerned is that children's privacy won't be respected. And the second thing these sessions would likely to raise my legal bill substantially, as I already experienced it with "free OCL" - their reports hardly helped any of sides in my case, but costed me and my ex, as communication with legal team increased.

Have anybody experienced this? Am I overthinking this? Should I be concerned of anything?

Thank you for your responses
Old 08-06-2022, 08:39 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

You are overthinking this and if the court ordered therapy they need to go. The only reason to be worried is if they are going to say something bad about you which should worry you more about your actions.

As for all the other coststhats only because two people fight over it. If you didnt like what the OCL said you fought it costing money.

Maybe you need to look at what is best for the kids rather than winning or beating your ex.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:39 AM

A.N.Onym is on a distinguished road

I didn't fight what OCL said - my ex tried objecting some of their statements, but lawyer had to read OCL report, then to read why ex doesn't agree with it, then listen to OCL in court - if you don't have much money and don't qualify for legal aid, you feel every $100. I am just afraid it will end up another few thousands in legal fees.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:49 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Counseling is supposed to be therapeutic with a goal of getting better. The idea is that one should be able to openly and freely speak whats on their mind, without fear of reprisal or getting bit in butt in court. In court, a counselor would speak in general terms about theme of discussions, but not get into the weeds.