Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:55 AM

guitar88 is on a distinguished road
Default Pre DOM House, 1979 - No Documents

My first house was bought in 1979, pre DOM. I put money down(10K), got a loan from my parents(18K) and had a mortgage(30K). Got married in 81 and sold the house in 86 fully paid off. Unfortunately, I no longer have any documents to back up any of my numbers. My Dad is the only one that could say he had lent me the money. He made a note in his record book. The law firm is long gone and I don't know the mortgage lender. My Wife knows the amounts and we are being honest throughout this ordeal. The only proof of anything is a real estate listing pic and description of the 86 sale.
Obviously, her lawyer asks for docs to backup my claim.
Is there some way to resolve my lack of proof? We've always been on the low end of the pay scale and used our money carefully.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:23 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar88 View Post
My first house was bought in 1979, pre DOM. I put money down(10K), got a loan from my parents(18K) and had a mortgage(30K). Got married in 81 and sold the house in 86 fully paid off. Unfortunately, I no longer have any documents to back up any of my numbers. My Dad is the only one that could say he had lent me the money. He made a note in his record book. The law firm is long gone and I don't know the mortgage lender. My Wife knows the amounts and we are being honest throughout this ordeal. The only proof of anything is a real estate listing pic and description of the 86 sale.
Obviously, her lawyer asks for docs to backup my claim.
Is there some way to resolve my lack of proof? We've always been on the low end of the pay scale and used our money carefully.
so you sold the first house in 1986, did you buy another one with those proceeds?
Did you actually pay back the loan from your parents or was it an early inheritance?
Is your wife agreeing with the amounts etc that you have laid out here? if she agrees with it all then all she has to do is tell her lawyer that she agrees with where the money came from and how it was used etc. Her lawyer works for her.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:38 PM

guitar88 is on a distinguished road

-proceeds from paid off first house used to buy house #2
-loan to Dad paid off
-mortgage paid off

Wife does not dispute any of my DOM amounts but her lawyer questions everything I have no proof of values/costs of. My wife wants to settle this but her lawyer advises her not to sign off on anything.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:45 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar88 View Post
-proceeds from paid off first house used to buy house #2
-loan to Dad paid off
-mortgage paid off

Wife does not dispute any of my DOM amounts but her lawyer questions everything I have no proof of values/costs of. My wife wants to settle this but her lawyer advises her not to sign off on anything.
your wife can tell her lawyer to stuff it. If she really agrees with how the money was used etc for the house then she can tell her lawyer she agrees and will sign off. The lawyer just wants to make sure they are representing your wife to the best of their ability...or just wants to drag it out.