Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 PM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road
Default leaving a child out in the cold

Non custodial parent leaves a 10 year old autistic child at 8:10 am outside the school (-8c, snow), no other adult supervision is available and the school doors are locked until 8:57 AM. Child isn't even properly dressed (no hat, no snow pants, no winter boots, no scarf, but did have the winter jacket) and later on complained of being cold and feet freezing etc.

NCP won't change this behavior despite repeated documented reminders, what could be done?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibjee View Post
Non custodial parent leaves a 10 year old autistic child at 8:10 am outside the school (-8c, snow)

How do you know?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 PM

tilt is on a distinguished road

The school should have called CAS. I would follow up with the school to verify the time the child was dropped off without supervision (almost all school have security cameras now) and request they follow up and keep you informed. We had -8 today too and I didnít bother with snow pants either. The clothing is not as much of a concern as the lack of supervision as most schools are very hardline about children being at school before supervision due to liability.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The school should have called CAS. I would follow up with the school to verify the time the child was dropped off without supervision (almost all school have security cameras now) and request they follow up and keep you informed. We had -8 today too and I didnít bother with snow pants either. The clothing is not as much of a concern as the lack of supervision as most schools are very hardline about children being at school before supervision due to liability.

I agree with this... I have a friend whoís daughter was burnt just before school started... she wasnít allowed to be in the sun... which meant her mom had to drive her to school instead of her walking... the mom runs an in home daycare so she had to be back for 8:30am and would drop her daughter (11) off at 8:15... after a week, despite knowing the situation the school told her that her daughter could not be at the school before 8:40am as thatís when supervision started. If your child is being dropped off outside of supervision time, have the school address this with the other parent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
most schools are very hardline about children being at school before supervision due to liability.

At my kid's school the yard is teeming with children at 8:40, and supervision doesn't start until 8:50. A 10 year old kid is in grade 4, which means that they are allowed to walk home alone, and be unsupervised.

There are autism issues here perhaps, but that is more of a "parent" problem than a "school" problem.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 AM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
I agree with this... I have a friend whoís daughter was burnt just before school started... she wasnít allowed to be in the sun... which meant her mom had to drive her to school instead of her walking... the mom runs an in home daycare so she had to be back for 8:30am and would drop her daughter (11) off at 8:15... after a week, despite knowing the situation the school told her that her daughter could not be at the school before 8:40am as thatís when supervision started. If your child is being dropped off outside of supervision time, have the school address this with the other parent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great to know, next time I will just ask school to check security cameras. Thanks folks!