Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live in boyfriend as a witness for custody hearing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live in boyfriend as a witness for custody hearing.

I have a custody hearing next January and we are allowed to bring in one witness. Is it a good idea to have my live in boyfriend as a witness or could this hurt my case for custody?

What will he be there to testify for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
      What will he be there to testify for?
      It will be for a custody hearing for shared parenting. I am seeking 50 /50 physical custody for the children.

Comment

Originally posted by newlifenewme View Post
        It will be for a custody hearing for shared parenting. I am seeking 50 /50 physical custody for the children.

How much weight do you expect a judge to put on the words of a boyfriend? Think about that really... he’s going to talk about how great you are, he’s not going to give an unbiased opinion. If it were me, I’d be seeking a third party witness that isn’t sleeping beside me at night... a neighbour? Daycare provider? Someone who is on the outside but knows you well enough to be in your corner.

A boyfriend isn’t a good witness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by newlifenewme View Post
          What will the boyfriend say?

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            A boyfriend isn’t a good witness
            Sure they are! For the other party! The cross-examination of a "boyfriend" is always damaging to the party that presents them. Unless this person is a common-law spouse (or an actual spouse) that has 3+ years experience with the children in the matter they are useless. There has to be permanence to the relationship and the person's relationship to the children.

They also have to be a clean witness. If they are residing with the children in Ontario they need police clearance per 35.1.

Its also great witness for the "girlfriend" as the other party's lawyer (if they are good) will dig up a bunch of stuff you didn't know about them and ask them about it. Drunk driving charge? Bad divorce and conflict with their ex-spouse. Remember court records are part of the puglic record!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X