This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much life insurance

How do you calculate how much life insurance you should carry in trust?

We have shared custody, my table amount is roughly 480$, hers is 200$.

Does that mean that I should carry $480 X 12 months X 16 years (untill our daughter is 18)?

And, she should do the same math but with 200$ per month?

Or, is it usually a fix amount?

There is no obligation to carry life insurance. Probably because some people cannot get it. However it is of course a good idea!!
    I had a hard time because I am diagnosed with MS. I got around the loophole by purchasing a permanent policy (as opposed to term) when I left my employer. They were obligated to change the group policy to an individual one without a medical (which carried insurance worth 2 years wages). It doesn't quite cover the calculation you mentioned and it is much more expensive that term, but it is all I can get.

Do you already have life insurance? Can you designate a certain percentage towards your child? On mine I designated my daughter 20% and my ex had 80%. I guess I should change that now...

Comment

If your ex insists on it, then make it a mutual request.

If you die, your ex essentially gets sole custody with 100% time, and therefore needs to replace $480/mo.

If your ex dies, you essentially get sole custody with 100% time, and therefore need to replace $200 mo.

If NCP has significant assets, and is not insured, I believe the court order MUST specify the CP has a 'first claim on the estate'. (Lawyer said she could be sued if this was not done).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X