This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Order For Visitation ignored.

My ex and I signed a final order for custody and visitation on consent. Support went to trial, and my pleadings were dismissed. Next thing I know, there is a new final order covering support - and visitation has been changed. How did visitation get changed when there was already a final order covering that? Is this grounds for an appeal? The new final order does refer to a previous agreement, but that's all.

Here's the tricky bit - my ex's lawyer completed the consent Final order, but I never got a copy showing that a judge signed it. It's possible that it was never submitted...so never official... If the judge did not consider the previous final order on visitation because it was never official, there isn't really an error in law, but some rather unethical behaviour on the part of the lawyer. Suggestions?

I'm no lawyer, but you might want to check with your lawyer and maybe check at the courhouse and see if the order you have is valid. That's all the advice I can offer.

Comment

I live out of town, so it will be a while before I can drop by the court house. However, staff there tell me there is no record of the previous order on file. So it looks like my ex's lawyer never submitted it. Seems to me to be highly unethical, at best. I can't afford a lawyer - trying to get legal aid.

Comment

you should consult a lawyer

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X