X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice - Never Been Divorced and want the BEST Laywer

Good day,

My friend is getting divorced. He told his wife last week that it was over, they are not happy...BLAH BLAH....

She took the 2 kids both under 2yrs and left the province. She is telling him she is just visiting her parents and will be back in a couple weeks but he is hearing from friends she is not coming back.

If anyone could help with the following questions we would really appreciate your help!!!

1. Who is the BEST divorce Lawyer in Calgary?

2. What rights does the father have? Same as the mother?

3. Can a parent just pick up and take the kids to another province?

4. Can the other parent just go to where she is and pick the kids up and take them to their LEGAL HOME?

5. Let's say the house they own is worth 300K can you just offer the other person their fare share in cash and keep the house? Does anyone know how this works?

6. Does anyone know of any father support groups in Calgary.

Please help this is such a confusing time.

Thanks,

Concerned Friends

1. I can't tell you the best lawyer, but if you go to www.collaborativelaw.ca, there is a list of lawyers there, all of whom are good. Tell your friend to be prepared to pay a $5000 retainer, as that is common.
    2. Yes, they have the same rights.
    3. Yes, unless there is a court order saying otherwise. He might be able to get a court order to have them returned. Were they taken out of school? That's a good reason to return them. He has to act quickly, though.
    4. Bad idea. These aren't pieces of furniture, they are human beings. They don't need to be spirited away again.
    5. Yes. The lawyer will write up an agreement and do all the land titles paperwork. But ALL of the property is dealt with at once - there may be more than the house.
    6. Equitable Child Maintenance and Access Society. It's in the phone book.

Comment

There are no good lawyers. They are all thieves. Educate yourself and do it on your own. I wish I had. I would now. Forget collobarative law. It is the big scam.

FN
      Last edited by FreeNow; 11-11-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I would be RUNNING off to court to get an emergency order to have them returned to where they live. Before you know it, a status quo will emerge that has them living out of province. Plus, the case will be heard in the jurisdiction where the action was commenced. It will be very hard if an action is brought by the wife out of province.

Comment

About the collaborative law link I posted - I wasn't recommending collaborative law. You can read about it and make up your own mind. But the lawyers listed there do regular family law as well. So, it's a useful list regardless.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X