X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Term Common Law - the other side

PLease I need some advice -

Last July I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, quit my job, sold car, gave away almost a whole apt because the man I was involved with told me we were going to get married, buy a house, kids etc. Not to mention he promised to put my name on the title of the house.

Two weeks ago, he pulled the plug and none of the above never happened.

For the last year he called me his wife and now declared I was not his dependant and he owes me nothing. He is not even helping me move back to Vancouver. Today he told me I had to get out of the house, he is paying for me to stay somewhere for a month.

Also too, I was able to have a small income of about 1600 net a month of which 1500 went to him since November for expenses, my car etc.

Now I have nothing except a new job I recently got (thankfully) no money and I have to give up the car as it was in his name

Do I have any rights at all??

BTW: he is a radio dj who make 3 times what I make and says he can't pay

FYI - he told me I couldn"t go on title b/c of lack of employment and not great credit is that true?

Comment

what do you think is fair? what do you want?

Comment

I want my 7500 (that i gave him) plus another 15k in lost wages
        but i want to know what is entitled and do i even have a foot to stand on

Comment

what was the 7500 for? The money for lost wages is a lost cause. You made the decision to uproot your life for him. I think he did lead you on a bit with the promises of a future etc, but I do not think that would hold up in court.

As for the title, i am sure that your lack of employment and credit history has no bearing on you being on it. The mortagage would probably be different.

I really feel sorry for you and hope that this all works out in the end for you. Morally what he did was wrong but the court deals with the legal aspects of things not the moral issues.

Comment

Given the short term of your relationship, it is good in hind sight that he did not put you on title, as the promise to do so was in the throws of love with the expectation of a long lasting relationship and marriage. That did not work, as he expected it to, so alls well that ends well with respect to title of his home. When your relationship ended so did his promise to share everything with you, as is reasonable.

I think that he is responsible morally to some extent for your short term loss in earnings and your moving costs. He feels the same way, and is paying for a place for you to stay for one month, which is not very much from him. I don't think that he has control nor an obligation, nor does anyone, to keep a relationship together, which is something I think everyone knows, so when you moved you were taking on a known risk.

The 7.5K is a simple matter if it truly was a loan, he owes you that. Small claims court should be able to handle it.

You want 15K for lost wages and he is wiling to essentially pay nothing. If you feel you lost 15K in after tax dollars of income, then he should not have to pay for all of it, but a percentage equal to no more than half. How much he makes is not significantly relevant.

How do you figure 15K?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X