X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update and advice needed!

Hello all,

It has officially been 3 years since shared custody was ordered and no CS yet but the first offer has been made. I recieved a letter from my ex's lawyer to the effect of CS will begin January 1, 2009 based on table amounts. And my ex will pay $18/month in addition towards the retroactive CS of $10,000.

At first I thought it was a joke, $18/month, really, perhaps a typo, unfortunately not, this is the offer.

So, what do I do about the $18/month thing? and the 2008 income that the support is based on for the 2009 year is income recieved while on parental leave which is significantly lower than income that ex will actually be getting for 2009. Which as I understand it, will only kick into effect in july 2010 when income tax info is exchanged for the 2009 year, what should I do?

I guess what I am thinking is that I need to make a counter proposal for CS settlement and need any and all advice as to what to put into this proposal.

Doing the calculation roughly, at $18/ month it will take ex 46 years to pay off meaning my child will be 56 and I will be 80+ years old. Is there a time line to how long this repayment should take and can I ask counter offer that interest be added onto this debt?

Thanks again,

Duped

$104 per month will have the debt paid off by the time the child turns 18. Still unreasonable, but it's better than $18.

Comment

Its ridiculous

It seems that he just don't wanna pay the retro CS.Just make a offer that for next few years you will take his tax return rather than $18 more every month.Also don't forget the GST checks after every three months.
      When my ex was not paying thats what the FRO did though it was not retro.Then finally when he started paying then he got a letter from the Govt that NO FURTHER AUTO DEDUCTIONS ARE NEEDED .

Comment

I think a counter offer relative to what was stated by “Paris”, would be more in line with "acceptable" if there is such a thing.

When I had an order put in place by the courts for arrears over $30,000, FRO was told that they could garnish his income up to, but not to exceed, 50%.

This was extreme in my view. However, at the time when the order was made I had been on social assistance for about 2 years, and a significant amount of the arrears was to be paid directly to the government. Their view is that had he been paying all along, they would have not given me as much, not like $875/month for a single parent of 2, trying to get back on her feet was a windfall. But I guess when it comes to the government getting paid they seek the max, whereas for unfortunate individuals such as yourself, they prefer to offer the min.

I'd counter propose if I were you, and clearly state that a payment plan that would exist for 46 years is "extremely" unacceptable not to mention a virtual slap in the face of his children who will suffer as a result of his childishness.

Comment

Counter offer

So I think I have a counter offer basically set except for this interest thing. can I ask in counter offer that interest be added onto this debt?

If so, how do I go about adding this interest or doing the calculations?

Thanks again,
          Duped

Comment

Follow the addition of interest the same way it's done by the FRO. 5% per annum I think is the standard. To calculate you take the amount times the number of days late divided by the year.. thus if it's $500 per month that is 15 days late at 5% per annum... so it looks like this: $500 x 5% x 15/365 (the / signifying divided by)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X