Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father ordered to pay child support to his ex...3 of 4 kids not his.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father ordered to pay child support to his ex...3 of 4 kids not his.

Dad must support kids not his: Court - Crime - Canoe.ca

Just a reminder to all...

I'd be curious...

I'd be curious to know, if the other 3 kids, have the same different Dad, or if they have different DNA from each other even?

I'm not sure how this is even in the best interests of the kids - if the other kids have Dads, those Dads should be contributing as well - not lumping it all on 1 schmuck. But that is how it is, in the current Family Law system.

"Mom" sounds like a real winner, for sure.

Comment

It's pretty common that judges measure "best interests of the children" in dollars and cents.

In this case, he IS their Father and raised them, they were a family unit, and thus although on one level it's not fair, it's completely understandable that he should support the children he raised for 16 years.

It's a very clear case of loco parentis. If he wasn't acting in the role of their father, who else was?

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
        It's pretty common that judges measure "best interests of the children" in dollars and cents.

In this case, he IS their Father and raised them, they were a family unit, and thus although on one level it's not fair, it's completely understandable that he should support the children he raised for 16 years.

It's a very clear case of loco parentis. If he wasn't acting in the role of their father, who else was?
        Yes, but the natural fathers should be on the hook too, and his CS should be reduced accordingly.

Poor guy - 3/4 of your kids are not yours!! How devastating is that?

Comment

Does anyone know or have a copy of this caselaw. I would be interested in reading it.

From the article, the father helped raise the children for 16 years as his own.
          I know my next statement will probably be taken the wrong way by some people, but here goes anyway.
          From a child focused perspective, he was perhaps their only father.
          Without reading more information into it, we don't know where the biological father / or fathers are, if they are still alive or passed away or if they are completely unknown.

If the courts knew who the biological father was, I believe the law requires that child support is first paid by the biological father but if the child does consider this father as their father then he does have a responsibility to pay child support. That said he also has a claim for access and custody as well.

If Tayken was still on here I'm sure he would have caselaw explaining the reasoning behind this ruling. Perhaps he will come back one day.
          Last edited by involveddad75; 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
            Agreed.

I wonder what kind of questioning/investigation was done, to determine the other father(s), though?

Comment

If Tayken was still on here I'm sure he would have caselaw explaining the reasoning behind this ruling. Perhaps he will come back one day.
              'Tis quite a shame that one of the most sage posters to the board was driven away...I also hope that he reconsiders coming back to the board.

Anyway, what I found curious about this story is that he demanded DNA tests of children post-separation when they were 12,14,16 years of age. It would be interesting to know what he found out that he realized that there was a potential issue.

From the children's point of view, he is their father, however and I truly hope his custody/access arrangement was favorable. It sounds like they need to spend time with their dad because their mother sounds questionable.

No doubt, the mother of these children is a scoundrel for pulling the wool over this man's eyes.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                'Tis quite a shame that one of the most sage posters to the board was driven away...I also hope that he reconsiders coming back to the board.

Anyway, what I found curious about this story is that he demanded DNA tests of children post-separation when they were 12,14,16 years of age. It would be interesting to know what he found out that he realized that there was a potential issue.

From the children's point of view, he is their father, however and I truly hope his custody/access arrangement was favorable. It sounds like they need to spend time with their dad because their mother sounds questionable.

No doubt, the mother of these children is a scoundrel for pulling the wool over this man's eyes.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
                We don't actually know what kind of woman she is, lets stay focused on the facts we do know. For all we know he could have known they weren't his from the start, the sperm might be from a sperm bank, we don't know at this point.
                Perhap she told him in an emtional fight that they weren't his, in hopes that he would walk away. Who knows without more facts.

Lets keep it to the facts we do know, and discuss the law around this.

Comment

For all we know he could have known they weren't his from the start, the sperm might be from a sperm bank, we don't know at this point.
                  Highly unlikely...DNA tests generally aren't cheap. Its more likely that she said something or he found out something that made him request the test.

I stand by what I said. I feel sorry for this gentleman as it sounds like the mother is probably a scoundrel. My opinion and I'll state it as I please, thank you very much.

Comment

Poor guy. Just the emotional damage of finding out 3/4 kids are not yours - and then what seems like insult to have to pay for them.

I wonder. Does Mom have a job?

Comment

Tayken would refer to loco parentis. He acted as their Father and thus under the law, he IS their father when it comes to matters of support.

Even if the bio-dad(s) were to be found, it's questionable whether they would be ordered to pay and if so, how much, due to loco parentis after 16 years of status quo.

Comment

"To make matters worse, his ex-wife told him his three daughters were all fathered by different men, he said.
                        The man said he was aware his wife cheated on him several times, but was floored when he discovered the results.
                        “I was naive ... I never thought I could not be the father of my children,” he said"Toronto Sun

His wife is a b*&%*.Im guessing she probably never worked either.How else would she get the time to screw around that much?
                        Last edited by murphyslaw; 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM. Reason: quotation marks

Comment

FYI...
                          We do know what kind of woman that particular Mom is...it's now in the story details. All 3 girls, fathered by different men. She is, by the very definition of the word, a sl#t. I'm not sure how else that can be viewed, in her particular circumstance?

And the father in question, ordered to pay support for all the kids, admitted to being "naive". That's "understating it".

So again, let the story serve as a reminder, for those who think they won't have to pay support, for kids that are not biologically theirs.

Comment

But for argument sake, if it turns out that she did PLAY him all these years, what should be her punishment then, or is that a sensitive matter because of her gender?
                            Oink...honestly. Cheating isn't a gender-specific issue. Do men get "punished" legally when they cheat during a marriage? If you go down this road one more time, I'm actually going to go ahead and add you to my ignore list with a couple of other unmentionables who spend all their time in here gender-baiting.

The man sounds like he was a bit foolish. Perhaps, like a lot of people with cheating partners...he spent a lot of time in denial looking the other way...who knows?

The woman is obviously completely indefensible but she doesn't deserve punishment...the biggest victims here are the children.

Regardless of biology, this man is their father. He should pay CS, as such...but more importantly, I hope he gets a fair custody/access agreement because I'm sure that the children will need him.

Lets not turn this into "all women are evil sluts who should be punished" hour please.

Comment

Please add me to your ignore list because as we both know, I need you so bad
                              Done........

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X