Lawyer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    GreenGrass - if you have presented something to your wife's lawyer then they are obliged to inform your wife.
    I wish this was true...but it's not. Lawyers are only *obligated* to present their clients with offers to settle. Everything else- they can basically use their discretion...I found this out the hard way. I found out later that my ex's lawyer was not presenting him with questions/requests I made- e.g. to share the cost of retain divorce financial analysts to prepare our financial statements independently. Cheaper- less fighting, etc etc...she never even put my request (which I made through my lawyer) to him.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Your question was how do you get her to go for your proposal. I gave you an answer.

My opinion is you are a control freak wanting to make your ex do what you want. Good for her to ignore you and let her lawyer deal with you.
      Yeah- I'm picking up the same thing.

OP- why does your wife ONLY want to use OFW? Are you guys high conflict? Are there are any restraining orders in place?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
        Yeah- I'm picking up the same thing.

OP- why does your wife ONLY want to use OFW? Are you guys high conflict? Are there are any restraining orders in place?
        No one here has enough information to give brazen advice on what type of counselling will work, especially with them not being a qualified professional.

There are no restraining orders just a pair of people on the other side that choose to make things as difficult and litigious as possible on the other side especially when they get caught doing things that judges would frown upon.

They subtly taunt me a lot as well.

Comment

There are no restraining orders just a pair of people on the other side that choose to make things as difficult and litigious as possible
          Then communicating the proposal directly to her will probably not solve anything, will it?

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
            Then communicating the proposal directly to her will probably not solve anything, will it?
            No, I may have mentioned it to them before and they ignored me.
            Dealing with just the lawyer here who will accuse me of not having a lawyer as if it is a crime.

It goes through her lawyer and her lawyer states that they (the lawyer) will not consider it and adds a few insults, ridiculous statements or fabricated accusations along with it. I feel like I am dealing with a crazy person but I know they are not; they are just screwing with me and others.

I hoped from a rejection from the client and not the lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenGrass View Post
              It goes through her lawyer and her lawyer states that they (the lawyer) will not consider it and adds a few insults, ridiculous statements or fabricated accusations along with it. I feel like I am dealing with a crazy person but I know they are not; they are just screwing with me and others.
              Some family lawyers do that on purpose- basically act like jerks. just because...I don't know any family lawyers closely. But my friends who do litigation routinely say that this is a tactic to basically just mess with your head. It works. My exes lawyer has said all kinds of shitty things about me and to me. None of it is consequential. Do not get caught up in this. It makes no difference- just know that they're a dick and move on.

If you want to MAKE them show it to your ex, I think you either have to bring a motion to get it heard or keep making offers to settle via Form 49A . Ignore the rest of the noise.
              Last edited by iona6656; 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I hoped from a rejection from the client and not the lawyer.
                The lawyer likely provided it to your ex, saying "this is the proposal, my advice is to reject it" and so it was rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                  The lawyer likely provided it to your ex, saying "this is the proposal, my advice is to reject it" and so it was rejected.
                  I agree there had to be something communicated.
                  What I have discovered from my side is that I tell my lawyer something and my lawyer didn't send the message or statement I wanted them to. I even asked my lawyer to retract and restate and they would not.

In my exs case their lawyer is known to make as much of a mess as they can and have even stated they are taking a personal interest (?!) so as not to allow things to settle, there have to be lawyers that get a perverse kick out of generating large legal bills. I do not believe they showed the email to my ex.

How come I sometimes see things sent in email, sometimes I just get a call and sometimes they send communications on letterhead/fax?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                    I wish this was true...but it's not. Lawyers are only *obligated* to present their clients with offers to settle. Everything else- they can basically use their discretion...I found this out the hard way. I found out later that my ex's lawyer was not presenting him with questions/requests I made- e.g. to share the cost of retain divorce financial analysts to prepare our financial statements independently. Cheaper- less fighting, etc etc...she never even put my request (which I made through my lawyer) to him.
                    I would discharge a lawyer who did not provide me with information. I suppose it depends upon which instructions one gives their lawyers at the time when they retain them.

Then there is the "bullshit meter" which frequently went off in my situation over the years. My ex often played stupid and feigned ignorance. My lawyer cleared the matter up by showing me proof that he had, indeed, forwarded information on to ex.

Comment

I had a lawyer who was totally professional at all times with my ex. Ex went from having representation to being self-represented and then with another few lawyers to back to being self-represented. We used to cringe when he was self-represented as things were filed in wrong format... wrong court.

If you saw my lawyer and my ex have conversations you would have thought the two of them were great friends. Aside from the one incident when ex was ordered by judge to attend my lawyer's office to sign forms (and my ex accused my lawyer of threatening him in reception area of law office... sheesh) the two got along quite well. Oh, and I recall that the judge, after hearing from my ex about the alleged threat, met with my lawyer.

Divorce (and in my case - apres divorce) are highly emotional times. I'd recommend that any communication between you and your lawyer to opposing counsel and/or your ex be in writing when at all possible. I communicated with my lawyer almost exclusively via email and only times I met with him was when I had to sign something. I always insisted on seeing any correspondence that went out BEFORE it was sent. Same held true with any communication which lawyer received. Yes this may have added a bit on to the bill but it kept everyone 'in the loop' which prevented any misunderstanding.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X