This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Settle...Its been over a year and I'm nowhere with lawyer

I owe my lawyer six thousand and climbing. I am no further ahead that a year ago. I have had a support order (temp) and it has gone back to motions court four times to be remanded each time. I have a small amount of equity in "trust" and I am so scared that now I will have no money at all to buy a house.

I'm thinking I need to settle, but have no idea how too.
    I know I am going to be in trouble if something doesn't get done
    Each time it goes to motions court, it is costing me money. For him to do nothing. This can't be right. It been a year and I don't even have a separation agreement.

Can the lawyer refuse to give me my equity? I'd like to get half at least and pay some of my bill with the other?
    I am feeling screwed!

Not knowing any details, you could suggest mediation and go it alone, you know your case the best and I know allot of people that have done well with their own cases. Since mediation has a third party to help that can put things into a binding agreement if the two of you can agree on issues it may be a way to go for you. It is neutral venue this may be a way to get something more concrete at least speed up the process without increasing your lawyer bill. You will have to share the cost of the mediator with the ex but it is not so extravagant like lawyer fees. That's better then what it seems you have been dealing with.

Comment

I'm two years, over 8k to my lawyer, and in about the same position. My lawyer is just now willing to get more aggressive in persuing a settlement. Reading between the lines, the arrears have now added up to enough to make the case worth fighting. I strongly suspect that it's a paint-by-numbers formula and every lawyer would have done the same thing, wait until the arrears add up to a magic number.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X