This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Items

Last week, I was emptying out bins and came across wedding pictures. I shredded em all but then I realized I've got other stuff to get rid of. Rings, jewellery, etc. I have no idea what to do with the jewellery. I hate to waste it cause its perfectly good gold and diamonds.

Just wanted some feedback on what other posters did with their wedding memorabilia.

I locked most of the wedding stuff away in a box in the basement for sorting later when I'm more neutral about it. I sort of wonder if maybe the kids won't want to see it someday, so I hesitate to destroy it.

I intend to have all jewellery of romantic significance melted down and made into a new piece a friend is designing for me.

Comment

I know my kids wouldn't be interested in any wedding pics we had...we didn't have a real wedding...ex was too cheap. Shredding them took a couple seconds and was meaningless. But I do have lovely jewellery that I picked myself and having it melted into some new pieces to give to the kids is a really good idea. Think I might look into that.

I donated the dress I wore years ago while I was still married...hope the receipient didn't have bad luck...lol.

Comment

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here... I wanted to keep all the wedding and family pix, I was afraid the ex would throw them all away. I believe I was right to keep them, my younger kid asked my mother if we were in love when we got married... Younger kid wasn't sure of how things were BEFORE it all got nasty... Can't totally rewrite history, even if all the signs were there NOT to get married. I will keep all souvenirs and let the kids decide for themselves whenever they are ready, call me sentimental (though I do not want anything to do with the current person ex is).

Comment

My ex has the wedding album. I kept the two big wedding pictures he had framed from our wedding... I wanted the frames, the're beautiful My rings...wedding...diamond...jewelry will all go to my grandchildren.

Comment

We split most of the pictures etc. I would not throw them out - they are part of my life and my children's parents wedding pictures.

I had to cut my ring off because it was so tight even when I bought it. Its in the sock drawer, and I'm going to keep it.

Ex told me (via court papers) she sold the jewelry I bought her, including her wedding rings. I think that is sad, I remember the day clearly that I picked it out even though it was 20 years ago

Comment

I'm not sure what I'll do with my stuff in the long run. The pictures I'll keep for the time being as, like bill said, they're part of my life and still mean a lot to me. My marriage wasn't horrible and for the most part the seperation hasn't been either. There's been issues for sure but nothing that time won't heal or that would keep me from being (cautious) friends with my ex. My children may want the pictures some day.

As for the rings, I have them all including my family ring with ours and the kids' stones. I picked them out and paid for them and believe they meant more to me than him. Perhaps I'll have them melted down one day and made into something special for each of my kids.

Comment

Both my sister and brother used gems (Rubies) from my parents rings and used them in their own rings. My sister for her wedding ring and my brother for a daily no purpose ring.
                My parents divorced in a high conflict situation when we were kids.

Comment

My marriage wasn't horrible and for the most part the seperation hasn't been either.
                  Since I moved out, my separation has been great compared to my marriage...lol.

I wish I had had more of a sentimental attachment to the wedding pictures but they were an embarrassment. They were just some cam shots from someone's digital cam that one of the 2 people at our wedding blew up at a photo store since we didn't have a real wedding. I never displayed them them during our marriage, they pretty much stayed in a bin and I wouldn't want my children seeing them. I was glad to shred them. I do have some lovely pics of when I was pregnant with them that I have to give them at some point. And I think its a lovely idea to do something with my jewellery for them. I do have some beautiful pieces that could be remade. Luckily, aside from the wedding pictures, I don't think in 20 years we took any other pictures together...so there were just a couple to get rid of.

Its ironic because my new partner and I went to a professional photographer to have pictures taken when we had only been dating for about 2 months.

If you haven't seen this before, here's what one guy did with his wife's wedding dress...thought it was appropriate to share on this thread eBay item 4146756343 (Ends Apr-28-04 15:37:01 PDT) - SIZE 12 WEDDING DRESS/GOWN NO RESERVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                    Last week, I was emptying out bins and came across wedding pictures. I shredded em all but then I realized I've got other stuff to get rid of. Rings, jewellery, etc. I have no idea what to do with the jewellery. I hate to waste it cause its perfectly good gold and diamonds.

Just wanted some feedback on what other posters did with their wedding memorabilia.
                    I wouldn't have recommended shredding the wedding pictures. One day in the future your children may have wanted to see them. It would have been better to keep them in a safe place. Children often ask about their parent's wedding and other questions. Although there may be no love between the parents it is often important to demonstrate to children that they were born out of love.

With regards to the jewellery. Russel Oliver can help you with that. He is the "Cash Man".

Good Luck!
                    Tayken

Comment

I would agree with you except that my wedding pictures wouldn't have indicated any love between my children's parents....quite the contrary. It wasn't a normal wedding or a very happy day.

Like I said, I do have some beautiful pictures I had taken when I was pregnant though that show how much I love them...even before they were born.

I think my children are well aware that my ex and I never loved each other...they're clever kids.

I thought about selling my jewellery for cash but they're the few material things from my marriage that I actually have some sentimental attachment to since I bought them during pregnancies and picked them myself...so I want to pass them onto the children somehow in a nicer form.

Thanks Tayken.

Comment

Love this one too...lol

Serial Bride Ties the 5th Knot at Age 29 - MSN Living

Comment

Wow, all I can say to that article is WOW!! LOL
                          After one failed marriage under my belt, that long walk down the aisle is no longer appealing.
                          I am seeing someone currently but as for marriage. No, no, NO
                          Thanks for sharing the article.

Comment

I have the wedding album...and hope to the framed pictures and the Greek wedding crowns (also framed) from the marital house as soon as my ex will let me in to split everything. I'd like to keep them to let my kids decide what they want to do with them. I also have some of the jewellery and have it put aside for them. I love the idea of melting it all down and creating custom pieces...I'm going to consider that later for them if they don't want the original pieces.

This guy is selling a book on ideas for what to do with their ex-wives wedding dress ! Love it...

My Ex-Wife's Wedding Dress

Comment

If this helps anyone...I was given some advice about 6 years ago and it's helped get through a lot. Look at the time and intent of the situation and that's what should stick with the item/occasion/memory. So...when you did get married to your ex-it was a great day/moment. And accept that for what it was. At that point in your life it was wonderful, and was done with the best of intentions. That piece symbolizes that. Not where you are today, but of that moment in time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X