Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex withholding child support payment

We are in Ontario.

There is no court order, but a written signed separation agreement signed by both of them and each of their lawyers.

The BF’s ex has decided that she is going to withhold June’s child support payment because she feels that he owes her money for something she bought for the kids. (that was not preapproved).

We tried explaining that financial disputes like that have to be dealt with separately and that refusing to pay child support is not acceptable but she insists she can do this.

I realize he can contact the FRO, and she’s basically said go ahead, she’s right and doesn’t care.

Anyone else have experience with this? So frustrating 😔. And it only hurts the kids. He uses that support payment to pay for his daughters dance classes.

Your causing yourself extra grief, get the agreement made into a court order and let FRO do the collecting for you. That's what its there for.

Comment

File it with FRO. They dont agree to anything that isnt in the agreement.

Comment

Aren’t they overwhelmed with really serious cases though?

He does need the money and she did sign this agreement, and has paid for the last year but is just being ridiculous about this particular issue.

I guess I don’t want to burden a system that is likely overwhelmed as is.

Is it even effective? Do they send her a letter telling her to pay?

Comment

I wouldnt worry about the FRO. I'd be more worried about easing the stress/conflict between the 3 of you and FRO collecting the support payments will do that.

FRO is slow at first while the paperwork goes through, after that as long as she pays, you will get your money in a timely matter. If she is an accountant she is NOT going to want to mess with them.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
            I wouldnt worry about the FRO. I'd be more worried about easing the stress/conflict between the 3 of you and FRO collecting the support payments will do that.

FRO is slow at first while the paperwork goes through, after that as long as she pays, you will get your money in a timely matter. If she is an accountant she is NOT going to want to mess with them.

I thought Fro was going to be super slow. I mailed my package. I got a letter back within 7 days with pin#. They send payor a registration package saying when your payment is to accrue. Payor has 35 days from date of letter to set up account and give bank info and so on. On the 36th day they can garnish payors wage if you supplied their employment information. I have a SA only as well. You have to file that with the court first. And they will give you the FRo package then. The agreements needs to be clear. How much support and how often. If not they won’t enforce. And then yes you will need to get it changed or get it as an order. It’s great I filed with them. I no longer have to beg my ex for my support. Kate331 :-) is right this helps overall with making less conflict which the children feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My partner is with FRO. Its fine as long as you pay. She can disagree with anything she wants but they don’t care. She can’t hold cs hostage for reasons that aren’t applicable. Otherwise she will simply say he owes her every month and stop paying altogether.

Comment

File with FRO to manage this issue and prevent any future shenanigans like this.

Comment

It is important for me to add my own unique observation here, potentially different from all other posters!:

(ahem)

You should sign up with FRO. In your case, there are almost no drawbacks for doing so.

you're welcome

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X