Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 PM

Rao Agnihotri is on a distinguished road
Default Form 13.1 - Question on stocks

Hello guys,

I bought stocks after 2 months of the marriage. In the Form 13.1 where you have to disclose all financials, my question is that if I bought a stock 2 months after the marriage, then what will be entered under the column "Amount/Estimated Market Value" on the date of the marriage.

Should I find the value of the stock on the date of the marriage and then enter that amount in there.

Here is the section of form 13.1 which I am talking about. Any help will be greatly appreciated........
PART 7(c): BANK ACCOUNTS, SAVINGS, SECURITIES AND PENSIONS
Show the items owned on the dates in each of the columns below by category, for example, cash, accounts in financial institutions, pensions, registered retirement or other savings plans, deposit receipts, any other savings, bonds, warrants, options, notes and other securities. Give your best estimate of the market value of the securities if the items were to be sold on the open market.
Category
INSTITUTION (including location)/
DESCRIPTION (including issuer and date)
Account number
Amount / Estimated Market Value
on date of marriage
on valuation date
today
Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

You bought it after marriage, then for the valuation on marriage date you enter "$0", you did not own it then.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks Mess.

This process really sucks.

If I have a car before the marriage, which I brought into the marriage and was let's say $15000 on the day of the marriage and on Valuation day its value drops to $12000 and today it is $10,000. Then my question is what is the purpose of all this. Since the car was before the marriage, so will I get the depreciation value of the car.

Will appreciate your help.....
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Yes that is exactly it, you will get depreciation on the car. You can count it as a loss during the time you were married.

The purpose is really simple, what was your net worth on marriage day, what was your net worh on separation day. If you bought something in the years in between, that purchase cost doesn't matter. Just the value at separation.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks Mess. You are better than my lawyer. I had asked this question to my laywer by email on depreciation of car and still there is no response from the lawyer. But now I already know this answer, thanks to you.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM

I'm sure your lawyer is better than me at many other things, just not as good looking.
Closed Thread