Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:23 AM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road

If you intend to discontinue the CS while your son is not in school, at least offer him to live with you half the time. (You donít mention the living arrangements). While an 18 year old may not be legally considered a dependent, it still costs money to house and feed the boy. Make it about him, not your ex.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:51 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma2016 View Post
If you intend to discontinue the CS while your son is not in school, at least offer him to live with you half the time. (You donít mention the living arrangements). While an 18 year old may not be legally considered a dependent, it still costs money to house and feed the boy. Make it about him, not your ex.
it may cost money to house and feed him but he is working. Mom can charge him room and board if it is an issue. Both my brother and I had to pay something when we got full time jobs.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
it may cost money to house and feed him but he is working. Mom can charge him room and board if it is an issue. Both my brother and I had to pay something when we got full time jobs.
Is that the kind of father he wants to be? To require his 18 year old to pay room and board just so he doesnít have to pay support for 4 months? Sounds like a dick move if you ask me.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma2016 View Post
Is that the kind of father he wants to be? To require his 18 year old to pay room and board just so he doesnít have to pay support for 4 months? Sounds like a dick move if you ask me.
why shouldn't the son, who is working, show some responsibility and pay his own way? I am sure that the father in this case will help out again IF the son goes back to school. Until that happens, his legal obligations are at an end. Its more of a greedy move to expect CS to be paid when the child is no longer in school and working.

He isn't requiring the child to pay room and board. If the mother finds money is tight then she can ask the child for room and board. Nothing wrong with that, it teaches responsibility.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
why shouldn't the son, who is working, show some responsibility and pay his own way? I am sure that the father in this case will help out again IF the son goes back to school. Until that happens, his legal obligations are at an end. Its more of a greedy move to expect CS to be paid when the child is no longer in school and working.

He isn't requiring the child to pay room and board. If the mother finds money is tight then she can ask the child for room and board. Nothing wrong with that, it teaches responsibility.

I paid rent when I was 18. If things are that tight with him living there then he can pay something or help out in another way. Just because they are split doesnít mean one spouse has to subsidize the other. If he died the life insurance would have covered the mortgage but living expenses would still be there. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who expect everyone else to subsidize their life. Being divorced doesnít mean having to pay for everything for the rest of your life. We had a parent who paid nothing and the other parent couldnít work. We all paid household expenses and I donít think thatís a bad thing at all. I knew more about mortgages, taxes, utilities and household repair costs than most people in their 20s.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
I paid rent when I was 18. If things are that tight with him living there then he can pay something or help out in another way. Just because they are split doesnít mean one spouse has to subsidize the other. If he died the life insurance would have covered the mortgage but living expenses would still be there. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who expect everyone else to subsidize their life. Being divorced doesnít mean having to pay for everything for the rest of your life. We had a parent who paid nothing and the other parent couldnít work. We all paid household expenses and I donít think thatís a bad thing at all. I knew more about mortgages, taxes, utilities and household repair costs than most people in their 20s.
Look at these kids who go out into the world with no idea of what life costs. They are so use to having all their expenses paid and spending all their own money on wants they have a very hard time and usually rack up massive credit card debt.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:17 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Look at these kids who go out into the world with no idea of what life costs. They are so use to having all their expenses paid and spending all their own money on wants they have a very hard time and usually rack up massive credit card debt.

My husband thought his kids were like every other kid until he met my nieces and nephews. They all paid half their school costs or most of their school costs. My siblings told them they had to work and they did. My one niece worked two part time jobs while going to high school because ďmoney is niceĒ. Meanwhile his ex and kids kept going on about how hard life is and how they needed time off etc. When they went to school they ate out twice a day, went home every weekend to see bfs and then claimed meals out while on break in the expenses.

When I look back on my life I admit it was difficult but I see it as we just didnít have the extras. We had food, a roof and heat. We contributed to stay together and survive. I would never have wanted my kids to live in fear of going hungry but if they were upset to not get to attend camp or have designer clothes then I would have a problem.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:05 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Tim Horton's and Walmart are always looking for long-term/life employees.

Personally I would try to financially assist and support my 18-yr old to move to the next step in his education/career, he's going to need the help and some guidance. It ain't easy out there.

Last edited by mcdreamy; 09-08-2019 at 07:08 PM.