'Notional' Real estate tax.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Notional' Real estate tax.

I am in the closing stages of an amicable buy-out of my ex wife's interest of the property- in both of our names, no mortgage. We have agreed on the value of the home, then I read on this forum of 'notional' real estate tax deduction and did some research of my own confirming it. I put it to my lawyer, who agreed that usual amount of 5% be deducted from total property value, then divided by two and that amount (now 2.5%) taken off the amount that I pay my ex.
    My ex agreed to this, then I see that her lawyer has added the 2.5% notional tax deduction to ex's 'debt' part of her financial statement thereby bringing it into the equalization equasion for it to now be halved again.
    I countered by (as suggested by my tax lady) asking that, as this is a 'notional' tax, could I now include my half of this deduction also as a debt in my own Financial Statement to bring the ratio confirmed initially by my lawyer.
    It may be noted that both of our RRSP's 'notional' tax (25%) was deducted on both of our Financial Statements as part of the equalization.

My question is ,which lawyer is correct ?

Thank you.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X