Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM

knackered is on a distinguished road

Having to put a pet down is definitely one of the worse days in our life!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Faith & Carana - very touching stories. Hard to say good bye to our family members.

My father was a veterinarian. He was a veterinary pathologist (research) but because the whole neighborhood knew he was a vet we used to get EVERYONE'S dead or almost-dead pets brought to our back door. We also lived near a ravine and a very busy street and sadly many dogs and cats were hit by cars. I can still remember my various childhood friend's parents bringing over their cat or dog, sobbing their eyes out. Often my dad would have to euthanize the animals immediately but always gave the parents the option to be there or not. Hysteria, at times, would be a good way to describe those days.

We had people bring birds to our house. My mother was the gifted one, often nursing birds back to health after they had stunned themselves flying into windows. Dad got all the credit but I knew it was mom that saved the birds!

Later when I was a young girl of approx. 17 I decided to work at a vet clinic for a summer job. It was hard work. Sadly there were animals put to rest throughout the week. I can say that the injection is instantaneous. It is a very humane thing to do.

I know as a pet owner who has had 3 cats live to age 21 that it is heart-wrenching to put the animal to sleep. I don't think it's a simple task for a veterinarian either. To watch an animal suffer is what is the hardest thing.

One of the nicest things you can do to remember your pet is to make donation of food or cash to an animal shelter. Any support is appreciated.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM

baldclub is on a distinguished road

Hey WO,

I didn't lose my pet to cancer or illness... I lost my pet to separation. When I left the home with nothing but my clothes and laptop, where I was going I could not take the dog. My kids were pretty damn sad but the dog had to go, he had bit my ex's boyfriend.

Anyway, almost four years later I am going to meet a new dog. If all goes well, the children and I will pick the little girl up and start a life with the still unnamed dog (we're Star Wars geeks, so who knows). There is no way I will ever give up a dog again. The dog comes with the package, as do my kids.

Hopefully my friend you can relieve the pain by moving on to another furry friend. I'm sure you can begin another fantastic adventure together.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone.

Charlie was a fantastic companion for over 10 years.

Unfortunately, the cost of treatment for him was quoted to me at over 5k.
I so wish I had that kind of money to spend on him.

I had a good little cry, and then hit my local favorite watering hole.
Good thing I had the day off

I am not looking forward to telling the boy about it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM

caranna is on a distinguished road

WO, you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers. Like baldclub, I left my home with only some of my clothes and a laptop. I left because I was afraid of my abusive husband. A few days later I returned, with the police, to get documents and my 2 cats. They've been a Godsend, especially for the 15 months I've been living alone.

Maybe in time you will find another pet for yourself and your son.

Last edited by caranna; 01-31-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Yes, for sure.

After an appropriate period of grieving- I am certain there will be a new puppy in our future.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Pets are amazing. I can vent to my cat and I know she will never tell. Its nice to be able to tell all my deepest secrets and never be scared that it will get out.

Your pet has given you so much love and I know it doesnt feel like it but you are repaying that love by not letting your furbaby be in pain. I have never had a pet put down. My cat I had for 19 years died in her sleep and was sick only one day in her life. I cannot imagine how you are feeling but its like when a person who has a terminal illness passes away, they are out of pain.

I am not sure if i believe in an afterlife for humans or pets but I know that some people do and it gives them comfort.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

@SOS: "furbaby" - that's cute. Jeez you are lucky to be able to say you've never had to make this vet call. It truly is BRUTAL. As a pet-owner you run yourself through the wringer with having to make the decision.

Pets ROCK, that's for sure. I couldn't imagine my life without "fur-babies."
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

I'm so sorry for your loss Wretched. May your pet rest in peace.

Hadenough: I don't have any pets but I do have a body pillow named Fabio that I have a close relationship with.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM

RLS is on a distinguished road

We had to put down our puppy (14yr old lab) just before Christmas. She, too, was in a great deal of pain. It was a very sad time. I'm sorry for your loss and
my thoughts are with you.
Closed Thread