This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO Case Management System

Most child support payers and recipients are probably aware that the Ontario Family Responsibility Office (FRO) now uses a case management system instead of their old call centre system for registered support files.

Question: As a payer or recipient, how has your experience with the new case management system been?

As a support recipient, the FRO has had my case registered since March 2011. The call centre system was terrible. Like the Rogers Home Phone call centre, every time I had an inquiry, problem or issue, I had to wait 15, 20 or more minutes to have my call answered, then, each and every time, I had to explain my concern from the beginning.

Apparently, with this new case management system, we will be liaising with only one case manager, therefore creating some continuity in the administration of our case.

THE PROBLEM IS, it is very difficult to get the case manager to return a phone call. I never call more than once per day, leaving a polite, brief, but well informed message. I have only had one return call of about eight or ten messages. Of course, I missed that one call!

The FRO has had a temporary court order in it’s possession since March 2011, where my ex-spouse is supposed to be providing me child support, but the FRO and FSOS (as it is an ISO) have taken no action on my behalf. Of course I am not 100% sure what their initiatives are as it seems difficult to get a return phone call from the case manager.

I have been dealing with fro since December 2012. It took until feb to have my cas registered but anytime I have called my case manager I have always gotten a call back the same day. I am not sure if I just lucked out because I never hear many good things about fro on here. I have to say once it was registered they have gotten me support payments very quickly. It is great to have them if you are the recipient and the payor refuses to pay.

I have to say my experience with them has been good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
      Most child support payers and recipients are probably aware that the Ontario Family Responsibility Office (FRO) now uses a case management system instead of their old call centre system for registered support files.

Question: As a payer or recipient, how has your experience with the new case management system been?

As a support recipient, the FRO has had my case registered since March 2011. The call centre system was terrible. Like the Rogers Home Phone call centre, every time I had an inquiry, problem or issue, I had to wait 15, 20 or more minutes to have my call answered, then, each and every time, I had to explain my concern from the beginning.

Apparently, with this new case management system, we will be liaising with only one case manager, therefore creating some continuity in the administration of our case.

THE PROBLEM IS, it is very difficult to get the case manager to return a phone call. I never call more than once per day, leaving a polite, brief, but well informed message. I have only had one return call of about eight or ten messages. Of course, I missed that one call!

The FRO has had a temporary court order in it’s possession since March 2011, where my ex-spouse is supposed to be providing me child support, but the FRO and FSOS (as it is an ISO) have taken no action on my behalf. Of course I am not 100% sure what their initiatives are as it seems difficult to get a return phone call from the case manager.
      Why they don't put it all online is beyond me. Telephones are so 1996. The integration of the legal system (especially family law) is in a sad state. So much more can be done with technology today to resolve these issues.

Comment

My case was cancelled as soon as it opened since we closed our file on consent. One payment went to them but was eventually returned to me so I could pay it directly to my ex.

In the 4-5 times I called I never spoke to the same person twice and have no idea who my case worker was. I do know I left messages on 3 occasions and never received a call back. Instead I resorted to calling over and over and over until I spoke to a human.

I was also HORRIFIED that nothing at all was available online.

I'm a payor.

Comment

I actually manage to get to speak with our agent most of the time I call. so far I do not have any complains regarding FRO.

I actually was really against it but it better for me to deal with FRO than with our mommy. Even with FRO she manage to file incorrect statement of areas (after she cashed cheque and confirmed to me in writing that she received monies). Gotta love that fact that soon there will be no government agency where she did not lie...

Comment

Just an update for those interested.

Since my original post in January 2012, the FRO case manager did get back to me twice and I even got her once when I called.

However, I am still not getting anywhere with the enforcement of my March 2011 temporary child support order (yes, March 2011). When the FRO threatened her with garnishment, she paid $1,200 toward $8,000 in orthodontic work and then $1,000 toward child support. Her child support owing is better than $30,000. This woman makes $96,000 per year and has no kids living with her.

The FRO case manager said that she is showing "an intent" to pay, therefore garnishment is out of the question at this stage.

In retrospect, when I was the payer, the FRO didn't ask my my intentions. Within 30 days after they received the order they had the pay garnishment sent to my military pay office. I did not have the option to pay voluntarily.

My two cents worth this morning!

Thanks.

Ken

Comment

So for doesn't automatically take the payments through a garnishment or they only do this if the payor doesn't voluntarily pay. I thought they automatically garnishee.

Comment

I thought the FRO garnished whether payments were being made voluntarily or not. There seems to be as many different applications of "the policy" as people one talks to.

Perhaps the next stop should be the Ontario Ombudsman Office; they are quite familiar with the FRO.

Comment

Kenny, that is awful and so wrong. As far as the new case managemnt system I have found it great. Have I got child support yet, no, it has been going on three mnths since court order but they did tell me the father really screwed around with the court ordered forms, and neglected to give his contact info. I was helpful with that..
                  I dont agree with a parent owing that type of support and actually any amount as we all have our own financial situations. It is disgusting when a parent does this. I was told they would start garnishment and they would suspend their license and next jail time. Maybe your lawyer will have more luck with it. Can you go to court for the money to get it ordered? Goodluck..

Comment

Finally, a FRO higher echelon manager contacted me. She was knowledgeable, polite and provided some of the insight I was seeking. She was also the bearer of bad news.

Notwithstanding that the FRO has a valid court order, they are ceasing enforcement on it until a permanent order is produced by the court. For those not following this thread, this is an ISO issue. Consequently, the Family Support Order Services (FSOS) of New Brunswick is the reciprocating jurisdiction. In fact, I intend to move this thread to an FSOS Issues title.

Just this week, my high income earning ex-spouse has clearly expressed her outright refusal to pay child support. She has paid three 1/2 payments since September 2009 yet neither the FRO or FSOS will do anything about it.

I have put in an Access to Information Act request to New Brunswick to get my FSOS file information. Once that has been received, I am going to the NB Ombudsman. A new court date for November 2012 has been requested here in Ottawa.

Any ideas what else I can do?

Comment

You can call the NB Office directly - but they're just going to send you back to Ontario. Call Michele at FRO. She's a lawyer there. Or call another lawyer - I reached one who didn't have anything to do with enforcement but she was really helpful when I had an issue with a Nfld/NYC payor. I wrote down her name as Tina - she gave me Michele's name but I didn't need it after talking to her - she called me back after talking to the case manager - the SAME DAY! It was such a shock I remember! I have the names backwards - it might have been Michele who helped - it was a long time ago but the paper is still in my file! I called 416 240 3635 - I found it on the USA government internet for ISO orders. The woman at this number will at least try to help you. Good luck!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X