Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone really want to hear our woes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone really want to hear our woes?

I'm not convinced, as supportive as my friends and family are, that anyone wants to hear our woes .... I get tired of thinking and talking about it and I'm sure they do too. It's just really hard to put yourself in somebody's shoes. I really need to talk things out - that's how I resolve issues - but I feel like a broken record.....

Sometimes even if they just listen and don't offer any advice or words or wisdom it's just nice to have someone to talk to.
    I think hobbies are a great thing to have so all of your time and energy isn't put into your divorce.

Comment

Yes you are correct. Friends and family will only listen and be supportive for so long, then they get tired of hearing the same thing. Most don't really know how to help you.

Even the most simple of family law settlements are more complicated then the average friend has experience with. Did you know what you were going to face when you started this? Family law issues tend to go on for longer then anyone anticipates, and friends and family loose patience.

Use your EAP program at work to find a therapist or counsellor. Posting on this board also helps.

You need someone qualified to help you work through the emotional issues. You might think you don't have any, but you do, everyone does. You don't want to do this in your lawyers office. Lawyers offices are for business, not discussing your exs. personality and faults.

Hobbies are nice to have, exercise is also a good coping tool, it helps to work out the sometimes incredible frustration that comes up. In my opinion you need them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sax View Post
        I'm not convinced, as supportive as my friends and family are, that anyone wants to hear our woes .... I get tired of thinking and talking about it and I'm sure they do too. It's just really hard to put yourself in somebody's shoes. I really need to talk things out - that's how I resolve issues - but I feel like a broken record.....
        They may get tired of it, etc, but that's what friends are for - to help you, and talking about it helps. They more they are willing to listen or try to help you, the better friend they are to help you.

However, it's good to reflect on how much you talk about your situation, because then you may be overstepping your friendship and not being a good friend to THEM - don't forget to talk about their life too!

Also, let them know how much you appreciate them listening - appreciate them both in words and actions.

Comment

It depends.

If that is all you talk about, they will quickly get tired of hearing the negativity. But if it forms a small part of a conversation, then it shouldn't hurt.

Try not to bring it up. Should they ask, tell them, but keep it brief and try not to get too worked up.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Frustratedwithex: I have called my EAP today - just before lunch! (Great Advice)
            HamerDad: You are right and I have noticed this so I'm trying to stay as cheery as I can and talk about other things!
            billm: You are right and my friends are GREAT! But, as you said - I need to be a good friend to them too ... and I do make an effort!
            tiredofthisnow: yes, I do have hobbies and I've been watching some tv shows on Netflix which I am really enjoying and I can really get lost in which is a nice shift for me.

I find it hard because I'm away from my friends in a different city so I'm somewhat of an island here. I do have friends but they are married and have busy lives so I don't want to impose!

Comment

There's two kinds of people you can talk to about this stuff.

People who haven't been through it and have no clue and get uncomfortable when you appear to be dwelling on it. You can talk about all kinds of other things to them, though, and it's nice to do so, but sometimes you just want them to understand.

People who have been through something similar, and end up sharing their own story with you and commiserating. But you can end up in a depressing spiral of it being all you have in common and all you ever talk about.

Personally, I lost a lot of my friends as they don't understand, and it's harder to keep in touch with them with my new single-mom type schedule, and I haven't even moved to a new city. I recommend getting involved in your neighbourhood, meet new people, volunteer at your children's school, get to know their friends' parents. You'd probably be surprised how many may have been through this too.

Comment

Hi, I dont think anyone really wants to hear it, freind or foe, the problem is you can only pretend life is peachy for so long, you can only watch movies for so long and they dont seem funny anymore, excercise till your to tired, work till you cant,,,,,,the great seperation/divorce, financial distruction, emotional upheaval, stupid x stuff, expensive lawyer crap keeps comming there and is no end . If this stuff cant get you by phone, email, paper, then there is always the great x liying cheating or tormenting the kids. Then later you still get to see the crap re-surface at the chilrens awards, graduations, weddings, grand childrens birthdays when we have to again walk on egg shells and pretend everything is peachey. Why do people have children if they never wanted to help and support them and set goog examples and be together for life. Why cant somthings just be and we agree to disagree, anyway sorry for the rant but I got 22 e-mails. ll calls, the monthly aculative lawyers bill and a demand notice for more money and the great x still is hidding everything. Now as my kids put it," its only tuesday mom, the glass is still half full and you got the rest of the week to look forward to more of this........."

Comment

My kids are adults now, which is nice .... my friends are amazing which is lucky for me .... they know I will get to things in my own time and they are 100% supportive. I need to work on myself - stop being a codependent person. Until I do this, I can't move past all this crap and start a new healthy relationship. I am focusing on myself ... being positive as much as possible ... finding out who I am ... I am speaking to a counsellor through my EAP who I was able to release and tell my whole story to which felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders! I need to be honest with myself and stop feeling guilty and down for other people's (my ex especially) behaviour - I can only control myself ... that's my focus now ... "Step 1: admitting what is really going on with me" accomplished! Now the work begins!

Comment

Hi, a couple of mine are just turning into adults but there so depressed, and ashamed of their parents they may never recover. They have no faith in the legal system or cops as they have watched all the unfair and unjust happen around their father filing for divorce. I brought them up to be good caring individuals, to always do the right thing and their on the sidelines watching their father destroy me. They want a new life, they want to change their names, they were really good kids and now they don't want to be, their marks are dropping, their hanging with really lost people and I cant help them pull out of this spiral. There father is trying to get them to fail in University and treats them awful, he has only seen them 2 times in 10 months and they want to move across the country away from this all. I cant afford to send them to school away from this mess, so its the circus act around them. I do everything to keep them out of all this but he keeps dragging them in. Im just exhausted trying to keep the glass half full.

Comment

When you get separated, you sure find out who your real friends are (and some family).

I used to get so annoyed when my friends would get separated as that was the only thing they talked about. I even remember on occasion mentioning that I would surely go out for a beer, but let’s not talk about your divorce.

Then I got separated. And, my divorce was an ugly one. High conflict divorce the system called it. “They” had no idea.

That being said, I have enormous patience now for anyone going through a divorce.

Especially with my male friends, when I hear of a separation, I first make sure they stay alive! Then basically sober. Finally, somewhat on track. My spare bedroom has been occupied on several occasions.

On the suicide note, I have lost at least five friends to divorce-related suicide. Being in the Army, divorce is a part of this life, unfortunately.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Is it wierd that I'm not feeling any of this angst?

I was definitely under a bit of stress being separated in my marital home for over a year and a half with my ex but now that that's over...I'm as happy as a clam. Yea, the money situation is different...dealing with custody assessments and court...blah, blah, blah. But I actually have kind of stopped talking about divorce to my friends unless they ask me a question. I'm so busy with other stuff...like trying to figure out why I packed the remotes in a different box than the stereos.

I know I've got a lot of upcoming stuff but I'm not that nervous about it and I'm so glad to just be on my own. I'm generally always a happy person but right now, its even more so.

I feel no desire to talk about divorce at all, except to read the posts on here when I'm at work. Its dull and depressing and I'd rather do other things. I'm I the only one that feels like that?

Comment

Over 2 and a half years, 3 court orders and were exactly where we were when it all started. Exception, were 130 thousand further in debt of which I won't live long enough to recover from. Have been declared deceased not once but twice, have had more nails in my tires in past 3 years then ten cars could get in a life time. I get to watch the X and his newest fling use our vehilces and spend all that he stole and hid while my kids and I live in a tent in a friends back yard. The court orders mean nothing and they do nothing to enforce them. But my glass is still half full. At least there is no snow on the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                            I feel no desire to talk about divorce at all, except to read the posts on here when I'm at work. Its dull and depressing and I'd rather do other things. I'm I the only one that feels like that?
                            I don't talk about it much outside the forum. I've gotten through it, and its done, there is no point in looking back in anger. I'm kinda back to where I was after university financially, living in a basement apartment. But I chose to look at the bright side. My kids are getting better, they really enjoy spending time with me now. My ex is dating and seems happy(so she doesn't send me nastygrams anymore). I have a woman in my life who seems to cherish me, and I her. I have some rewarding hobbies and some great friends.

I didn't lose any friends after separation, I even took the opportunity to reach out to some old friends that had drifted away because they didn't like my ex. I think most of them understood I needed to vent a bit.

Comment

"Nastygrams" - great word.

I find that no one can really understand the awfulness of a bad divorce unless they've been through it. I have a couple of friends who will listen, but I don't want to strain their patience so I try to ration the amount of divorce talk.

In a way, going through this has actually made me a better friend because it's made me more open and more willing to take risks and talk about the hard things in life, as well as the happy-smiley parts - so I would say my friendships have grown stronger because I have talked about this stuff.

The man in my life has also been through a bad divorce, though he's a few years further along the curve than I am. We talk about it a lot - though I have to remind us sometimes to stop talking about it, talk about the good and positive things about life so we don't end up colonized by the bad and traumatic.

I do quite a bit of self-talk, reminding myself of the good things that are in my life now that weren't there before the divorce - friends, love, faith, a strong relationship with my daughter, health, professional achievements, and so forth. The divorce losses are small in comparison. Which is not to say that it doesn't still hurt like hell.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X