Legal Mistakes you made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Mistakes you made

Has any self-represented litigant here many any legal errors which probably not have been made had you had a lawyer and how much did it cost you and in retrospect would it have been better to hire a lawyer?

Signed a temporary minutes of settlement without any legal advice that my ex's duty counsel prepared.

Now our daughter is only allowed to sleep at two addresses and not allowed sleep overs.

If I had a lawyer or new about this site I would have prepared a better court order that would have benefited D5.

Probably not the worst case you will hear about, but I have to live with it and so does D5 because of me being uneducated.

Comment

Legal Mistakes you made

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
      Has any self-represented litigant here many any legal errors which probably not have been made had you had a lawyer and how much did it cost you and in retrospect would it have been better to hire a lawyer?

Signed a final minutes of settlement (under duress ) that was prepared by opposing counsel.

About $10,000 so far with my lawyer. My guess is that I'll be likely spending at least another $5000-6000 and lots more if I go to trial - which is what will end up happening if my offer is not accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Signed a final minutes of settlement (under duress ) that was prepared by opposing counsel.
        You can have that cancelled if you can prove duress.

Comment

No mistakes...I personally prepared and served the initial papers, then came the lawyers who did absolutely nothing, but instead racked up my retainer.

I self rep in the end, avoided trial and got everything I asked, but with some bargaining. Avoided SS, CS being paid based on 50-50, no FRO involved

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X