challenging imputed income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wannabehappy1978 View Post
    for me personally...it would be difficult to just give up and roll over. how about some legal advice from a lawyer ...not the family kind...the criminal kind . maybe he will offer some better insight. your ex is breaking the law some how...but how can you expose it without wasting your time and resources. you gotta put out more resources because he's not holding up his end of the financial responsibility. you're gut is telling you that he's lying...if it were me...I would explore those pathways.
    Criminal charges are laid by the Crown, not by an individual. For charges to be laid, there needs to be evidence. A criminal lawyer cannot lay charges. If someone has committed a criminal act against you, you may go to a Justice of the Peace to swear a complaint, but getting anything accomplished this way is rare. in also requires that the criminal act be committed against the complainant.

You may not, for example, try to get criminal charges laid because someone is cheating on their taxes. If someone is cheating on their child support, this is not criminal, it civil/family court.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabehappy1978 View Post
      for me personally...it would be difficult to just give up and roll over. how about some legal advice from a lawyer ...not the family kind...the criminal kind . maybe he will offer some better insight. your ex is breaking the law some how...but how can you expose it without wasting your time and resources. you gotta put out more resources because he's not holding up his end of the financial responsibility. you're gut is telling you that he's lying...if it were me...I would explore those pathways.
      if by some great twist of fate, she finds something and he goes to jail, then POOF any money she was getting goes away and he would have a hard time getting a job due to the conviction. The he files for undue hardship and he pays even less (or nothing) compared to what she gets now.

Revenge can always come back and bite you in the ass. Best to always think about the long term effects of something before doing it.

Comment

okay...then scrap that plan then...

Comment

I am still blown away at this whole process. His sworn financial statement (13) is all calculated in accordance to the imputed amount. How well does that hold up in the courts? There is numerous missing assets, a bought business property etc. Claims telephone and cell on business income then relists it as a personal expense.
          what's the saying, once a crook always a crook ?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X