This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self employed....

What do you do when your ex is self employed and ignores your requests to provide income tax information? Our court order states we exchange it yearly, I sent mine and heard nothing ( 2nd attempt) ( unfortunately a time is not set out, just says yearly)

It's almost not worth it because they are hiding their income anyways. Gross was over 200,000 and claims only made under 15,000. They were suppose to show 3 years, I only got one. My lawyer pushed an imputed income under what they made before becoming self employed and the ex jumped all over it!

Apparently sold the house, moved into a small 1 bedroom place, so either got a large sum of money from the difference between houses, or is renting out the old house. ( over and over again tried to pull fast ones on me ) Bogus house appraisal that I caught on to and had my own home appraiser value the mat home over 50,000 difference... smuck.

What am I suppose to do? I let go of my lawyer last year and don't want to go down that avenue again. But I would like to see what they are potientially making... as they claim to everyone that they are very successfull and pay little child support.... Urrrr.

This seems to be a common thread on this forum and if you search you will find some responses...however, the common underlying response seems to be... will it be worth it? Are you willing to spend thousands of dollars to take ex back to court to gain a few hundred a year in CS? Are you prepared to do this every time he doesn't disclose?

It is very unfortunate when people do this as it affects their children more than anyone else, but the last thing you want is to fight this and have it cost you more than what you will receive and then you are the one who are affecting your children... I hope one day he grows up...but I am sure its wishful thinking.

Comment

Our system is totally corrupt! It's part of the agreement, court orders but who cares... no one gets penalized for not following orders and the other party has to spend thousands to get some type of justice. And I don't just mean involving cs but the whole system in general!

Comment

Yes it does...however our court systems don't really care about the parties involved...the sad reality is that the more conflict there is, the more people don't follow court orders and the more others try to just get what is fair to them... the richer the lawyers and courts get...

You are correct the whole system does suck... and the only way to stop this crazy circle is to have all adults grow up and act like freakin adults and settle the issues OUTSIDE the court room.

EDIT: Please don't think I am saying you are not acting like an adult...I was referring to your ex, who is not following what he should be

Comment

Thanks Berner. Im just so frustrated. I keep trying to be the better person, not let things like this affect me, but the whole process has left me scarred. I know there are issues with the ex paying child support, got scott free for a year and a half.... it's always been about the money....
          and Im sure the joke would be on me if they ever do produce their income.... ( the fake one of course)
          The ass even admitted to me how they scam people a few months back... urrr

At the end of it, If I kept fighting, I easily could have walked away with another 30g but unfortunately they didn't see that...
          Last edited by tugofwar; 02-26-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Tugofwar... I can easily understand how frustrating it is. It is very unfortunate...you can fight until you have nothing left, but the reality of it is, when one parent only thinks of themselves and forgets who they are really hurting, the children need one parents who cares enough to be there to support them during this time. The money you would be spending in court just to try and get him to cooperate would be much better spent invested in an RESP or something that your children can use when they reach post secondary...lets face it... is he really going to help out with this cost?

Be the parent we know you can be and forget about the ex (usually easier said than done I know) be the parent your children need and they too will turn and thank you for all your hard work. Maybe one day the ex will realize what he has done and honestly, if he doesn't, the children will never forget.

Comment

Im am just thankful I left a bad situation. Our child suffers now, everyday it is a struggle. The ex is not really that into our child... sad but true. The fight was one only to serve the purpose of quote, "not being an open wallet". When asked why joint would be best, that was the response. Not, I would like to make decisions on health, welfare etc of the child....
              We both are a burden to him... our three year old came home after his parenting time to tell me that mommy and child, tie daddy down... nice!

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
                We both are a burden to him... our three year old came home after his parenting time to tell me that mommy and child, tie daddy down... nice!
                That is so sad Soon the poor kid is going to grow up and realize what those words actually mean... this is when the child is going to really need you!

Comment

Tugofwar: I'm in similar boat as you. Go back to court w/no lawyer. He's not providing the true income. There's got to be some form to haul his lying ass back in to get it ordered for him to produce his financials. I know its frustrating as hell. And I agree: the system is very corrupt and accommodates the liars and deadbeats way too much. Private msg me: I have a cpl of suggestions for you. PS; my self-employed ex went into court/trial claiming he made $10g per YEAR!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X